- A bench comprising of Justice U.U Lalit, Justice Indira Banerjee and Justice K.M Joseph was hearing a 2015 case concerned with three death row convicts who on 15th march 2021 were found in an intoxicated condition.
- Regarding the same the court has directed the jail superintendent to file an affidavit disclose as to how tobacco and other contraband material are found in the jail premises and whether the control room and boundary wall are covered by the CCTV cameras or not.
- On 15th march, 2021, the three convicts were found to be in an intoxicated condition in their cell. It has been alleged that force was used to contain them. Following the matter, additional district judge Satish Kumar was required to make a report of the same.
- On 19th march, the additional district judge visited the jail to interview the convicts regarding the issue when he observed one of the convict was not able to walk properly. After which he was to be medically examined. However reports of the examination are not produced on record.
- It was stated by the jail authorities that the CCTV cameras are installed at the medical dispensary. However, the life of the footage was told to be only four days. No footage was available as of now.
- Also, the punishment ticket signified that the inmates were inflicted with punishment of withdrawing mulakat.
- After the analysing the facts and circumstances the court directed the jail authorities to file an affidavit mentioning as to where exactly the CCTV cameras installed in the jail premises.
- The affidavit shall also state as to how and in what circumstances material substances like tobacco find place in the premises.
- The court further directed Dr. Vineet, Medical Officer, Jail Hospital, Tihar Jail as well as Dr.Vivek Dave, Senior Resident (Psychiatry) to file their statements touching upon the issues pertaining to the present controversy.
- Regarding the life of CCTV footage, the court directed the Home Ministry of the state to file an affidavit disclose why the life of the CCTV footage is limited to only four days.
DO LET US KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW OF YOUR OPINION OM THE SAID CONTROVERSY