Intellectual Property Rights: Practice and Drafting by Adv Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Chhavi (Teacher)     16 August 2011

Women surname



Do a women need to change her surname after marriage if she is in government Job??


My problem is i want to include my in laws in DHS medical facility but my HOO says that for this you need to change your surmane.. I can't keep my maiden name??


She also wants a documentary proof for same.


 9 Replies

Adv. Sanjay (Lawyer)     16 August 2011

Ya thats true you need to change your Surname by making a change of name on an affidavit on non-judiciary stamp paper and along with that you need to submit your registered marriage certificate also to concerned authorities.

Bharatkumar (ADVOCATE )     17 August 2011

I agree with Mr. Sanjay, U can submit your marriage registered certificate for that and if u can not registration your marriage u can go Registrar office, I think they give a Marriage Registration Certificater after only one/two day, so u meet local authority person for that.  

1 Like

Shastri J.K. (Practice in The High Court of Chhattisgarh)     17 August 2011

If U want to change your Surname, I agree with Adv. mr. Sanjay.

But  to include ur name in in-laws in DHS medical facility,no need change of your Surname.

Gorimaa..B (Law Student)     17 August 2011

completely agree with Mr.Sanjay

N RAMESH. (Advocate Chennai. Formerly Civil Judge. Mobile.09444261613)     18 August 2011


//Do a women need to change her surname after marriage, if she is in government Job?//

Woman NEED NOT change her surname after marraige, even if she is in government job. 

There is no such rule or law which requires change of surname after marriage.

It is your wish and will.  

Ask your HOO to give his advice in writing or ask him under which rule it requires.

Chhavi (Teacher)     18 August 2011

Dear Mr. Ramesh Sir,

Thanks for the reply.

Is there is any order / judgement / ordinal or circular which has been passed by any court of India , if yes request you to please send me a copy so as I can submit the same in my school.

Thanks & Best Regards,


Srinivasa Rao Mullapudi (Advocate)     18 August 2011

i agree with n ramesh

Bhaskar Kanungo (Research Scholar)     19 August 2011

No need for woment at any stage to change surname...Only thing is you need to fill fresh Family Details Form available with Dealing Assistant of your office. This intimation should be included in your service records. Also in family detail form you can write the name of persons with their existing surnames and your pre-marraige surname. Only thing which your office can ask is for Proof of marraige - This can be in the form of Marriage Certificate, Wedding Card Invitaion Copy, Picture of marraige, Affidavid.

For DHS facility you will require group photo of your complete family.

Still if Head of Office refuses to entertain, please intimate him the same with either an application where he specifically mentiones his condition of non acceptance OR send the document through official email of HOO OR through Registered Post mentioning 'New Family Details for Incorporation' on Envelope.


Hope this helps you...

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     03 December 2011

 agree with Mr Ramesh  but I will add that (i) woman govt employee does not need to follow the entire name change procedure for changing surname on marriage/divorce.  only a plane paper declaration is enough you are perhaps not the first woman employee in department (ii) For additing the the parents-in-laws in the family for medical purpose, in cerntral govt job, it is essentai that you should have stopped availing such benefit for your parents and the beneficiary shoul dbe dependent only you.  Ther eis no binding on you to change the surname.  the baboos of your department appear to be from male dominantn families.  their views wil be shattered if you ask such rule position from the same baboos under RTI Act. They have no answers top alaborate rule positin on their stand.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More

Related Threads