LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Alok (Director cashless)     26 January 2014

Withdrawl of divorce case by wife

My wife filed for divorce, maintenance and also Domestic Violence. All these cases were filed under false allegations. The domestic violence case had been cancelled by the court as my wife never appeared in the court. This had happened two times. This is the third time that the case had been filed.

I was fighting all these three cases. All these cases reached to the stage of making her statement infornt of the Judge. Her statement had been recorded for the divorce case. In this case the next statement to be taken was of her mother. The affidavid was submitted by the mother but suddenly on the day of her statement the case was withdrawn by my wife. In this case the order was made to bring my child to meet me everymonth by the court but 3 months had been passed and they have not produced the child to the court. Can you please tell me what are the steps that i can take in this regard. Can you also tell me why the case was suddenly withdrawn,

Secondly my father in law is getting retired in june this year. I am not sure where they will go after the retirement. So can you please tell me what can i do so that they dont go missing suddenly in june. I have the address of all her maternal uncles with me. Will i still have to pay the maintenance if all the charges are proved to be wrong in front of the court? Request you to kindly answer my queries.

Regards

alok

Learning

6 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     27 January 2014

1. As regards spousal maintenance, it must always end on the death of either party or the re-marriage of the recipient.
2 The Court itself may fix the period for which maintenance is to be paid. This is likely to happen if the spouses are relatively young or if the marriage is short.
3. Alternatively the Court may make an order payable until the death of either party or re-marriage of the payer.
It is then up to the payer to make an application for variation or discharge of the order if circumstances justify it.
4. It follows that, in the absence of a successful application for a discharge, spousal maintenance may be payable until the death of either party.

Alok (Director cashless)     27 January 2014

Request you to kindly also guide me on rest of the questions.

1. What can i do to meet my child? The court had asked her to bring the child everymonth to the court so that i can meet my child but they have not obeyed the order of the court till now.

2. What can i do so that she and her family dont go missing after the retirement of her father?

3. As the divorce case had been withdrawn and only DV act and maintenance are going on can i start visiting my inlaws to meet my daughter?

4. Can the divorce case be opened again even if they have said "Not Pressed" for this case. Can they file a case for divorce on the basis that now from the time the case was filed two years had passed and we are separated in these two years?

regards

alok

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     27 January 2014

If she had filed the divorce case, what was your stand in it?  You wanted to give her divorce or had strongly congested it?  Have you file a petition for visitation rights of your child?,  If she has withdrawn her divorce case, were you not served with a copy of the memo she filed for withdrawing the case?, if yes, what was the reason stated in it?  She can file a divorce case once again after a lapse of two years period also, it is maintainable but you can contest it then also.  About DV case, since it was dismissed twice earlier, you have a strong ground to get it dismissed even now.  On the same basis, you can file a petition for dismissing the maintenance case also, if the same has been decided, then prefer an appeal against it.

ganesh rao (x)     28 January 2014

a case once filed by a party cannot be withdrawn unilaterally as it causes damage to the other party and the party withdrawing may again be filing the same case.  in a divorce case filed in TN which was allowed to be withdrawn by the petitioner by the family court, the HC dismissed the withdrawal and restored the case.  see the judgment of Madras HC

Madras High Court

Kavitha vs C.Prabakar Rep. By His on 17 September, 2012

DATED: 17.09.2012

CORAM

The Hon'ble Mrs. Justice R.BANUMATHI

and

The Hon'ble Mr. Justice R.SUBBIAH

C.M.A.No.2033 of 2010

Kavitha .. Appellant

Vs.

C.Prabakar rep. By his

Power of Attorney

Dr.A.Chandrasekaran .. Respondent

====also u can contest the withdrawal on the ground that it is done with the intention to disobey the court order to produce ur child every month for u to see the child.   so on this ground also u can contest the withdrawal.  i think u have valid grounds to contest.

ganesh rao (x)     28 January 2014

the case can be withdrawn only if the process of issue of notices, ur appearance etc. have not started.  since  the DV case had gone a long way,  i think u can claim heavy costs.  u need to talk to a good advocate on this.

Alok (Director cashless)     31 January 2014

The other party gave a application stating that they are withdrawing the case due to some problem from the side of petitioner and they would require a permission to file the case in future. On this my advocate argued that either the case had to be not pressed or we would be filing the objecction on the application and we would require some time for filing the same objection. On this the advocate of my wife told that they are withdrawing the case and wrote "Not Pressed" on the order sheet. But since the point about filing the objection from our end was written by my advocate on the application the court gave us time to file the objection. On the next date my advocate got ill and was not able to go to the court. So i gave an application stating that we would require the next date to file the objection. We even gave in the date for filing the same. But the judge ordered that since the time was given for filing the objection but my advocate was not present therefore he dismisses the case and gave a window to my wife to file the case again.

So here my question is:

1. What is the meaning of "Not Pressed"? Can a case be opened even if it is "Not Pressed"

2. If the case is "Not Pressed" why did the judge gave a window to file the case again. If "Not Pressed" means that the case cannot be filed on the same grounds then what is the meaning of judge giving this judgement

3. Should i go to the high court for getting the directions?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register