Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

{Balu manikantan} SUBRAMANYAM (Practising Advocate)     15 October 2020

Withdrawal of fir before filing charge sheet

A false FIR has been Registered against a person with all compoundable sections of IPC. Now the complainant wants to Withdraw the FIR. Police are not co-operating for the withdrawal. And the alleged accused does not want to settle the case in Lok adalat as he has to admit his guilt to compromise. Is there any procedure other than quashing of FIR.


 3 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     15 October 2020

Once FIR is registered the case becomes state case, where the complainant can not withdraw.

However, the accused may approach concerned High Court u/s 482 CrPC for quashing, with the cooperation /help of complainant.


P. Venu (Advocate)     15 October 2020

As a practicing advocate, you have the professional obligation to ensure the complaint is proceeded against in terms of provisions Section 208 IPC:

"Whoever, with intent to cause injury to any person, institutes or causes to be instituted any criminal proceeding against that person, or falsely charges any person with having committed an offence, knowing that there is no just or lawful ground for such proceeding or charge against that person, shall be punished with imprisonment of either descripttion for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine, or with both;

and if such criminal proceeding be instituted on a false charge of an offence punishable with death imprisonment for life, or imprisonment for seven years or upwards, shall be punishable with imprisonment of either descripttion for a term which may extend to seven years, and shall also be liable to fine."

{Balu manikantan} SUBRAMANYAM (Practising Advocate)     15 October 2020

The alleged accused and the complainant wants to put an end to all further proceedings.

Authenticity of the Allegations in the complaint will be known only after thorough enquiry by the police which takes much time and creates agony among the families of the complainant and the alleged accused. so i have expected some remedy from the senior experts at this juncture. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query