Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anonymous   30 September 2015

Wife filed 498a after 1.6 years of marriage

Hi,

After 2 years of marriage my wife filed 498a complain against me to CAW cell When i denied to leave my parents she left home and put this dowry complain against me and my family.

few months Before marrg My fil transferred 1 Lac to my account and told me to buy new furniture after marriage for her daughter as he has kept this for her only and he will not feel good if I deny it. This was all in good faith. But now today when I am not agreeing to their demands of leaving my family and live separatly with my wife they filed dowry case

can you please suggest if there is any way I can fight this out? Or I do not have any choice but to accept her unreasonable demands?

Learning

17 Replies

Anand   30 September 2015

Does your father inlaw have proof that he deposited the money in your account?

Was it a cash or cheque payment?

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     30 September 2015

Your FIL already has a proof. First you decide what do you want.

Anonymous   30 September 2015

It was a cheque transaction. This transaction was done 5 months before marriage. 

I want to fight this out and do not want to bring her back. Mainly because in last few months she even started abusing my mother and me and made our life hell. If I agree this time and bring her back this means I am accepting all her charges and asking for second chance which is not true.

But at the same time I am worried only about this transaction. Except this transaction I am sure they can't show anything as neither we have demanded anything nor we have harrased her in any manner.

That is why I want to know if this is defendable and can be taken up in court or is this open and shut case due to this single transaction? 

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     01 October 2015

You said “I want to fight this out and do not want to bring her back.” You also say “I am worried only about this transaction” You cannot proceed in both ways. No dowry complainant gets such a strong evidence against husband as in your case. Here the money has gone in your account prior to marriage and there is no plausible explanation. This money came to you for buying comforts for your wife which you did not. Many pro-men persons may advise anything but the hard facts is that you have fallen flat.

Now coming to the core issue. Your facts indicates that she has problem not with you rather with your mother. In sucha situation if your in-laws exploit the evidence fo dowry you can never expect your mother ot be out of the case. Even if someone advises you that evidence is weak in your case still it is not a cakewalk. India husband will never on earth agree that his wife is correct. Indian husband will never agree that his mother is wrong. Situation does not appear to be out of control. You can rescue yourself and your mother by shedding ego.

Megha   01 October 2015

If  CAW Cell proceedings are not initiated then and lady has not gone to police station then i will say transfer money via Netbaking ot Cheque to your Father In Law account ....

You will have a littel room to breath that it was taken as help for some domestic reasons in a friendly manner and you have given it back to her father.....

Just ask your lawyer if this will help you ?

Rocky Smith (Instructor @ Calcutta (rockysmith4calcutta@gmail.com))     01 October 2015

Parents of either side need to be taught first if we really change Indian future. Unfortunately we don’t have such institution.  There is a serious generation gap between old generation and new generation in India. Olds don’t wish to change hence oppose evolution which is not good for Indian future.

Anyway, coming to the point, the purpose of transferring money is not clear and it is also not clear that she was tortured for that as per clause B of sec. 498A. Please return back the same amount by net banking and keep the transaction ID with you. They still need to prove that it has taken as DOWRY forcefully else it is not crime.

Please read each of my posts carefully in the following links for sample petitions and other necessary clues.

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Fight-against-misuse-of-498a-ipc--103100.asp#.U6gslUCm9dg

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Best-way-to-fight-against-false-498a-103111.asp#.U6gsRkCm9dg

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/details.asp?mod_id=104564&offset=1

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Why-speedy-trial-amp-perjury--124819.asp#.VbzWibOqqkp

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Why-speedy-trial-and-perjury--124820.asp#.VbzWx7Oqqko

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/details.asp?mod_id=126460&offset=1#.VgJwk9Kqqko

Anand   01 October 2015

If it was a cheque transaction then your father inlaw will have proofs of the same.

It is a big and strong peice of evidence in favour of your wife, but it still needs to be proved in a court of law that it was given as dowry.

Once the money was transferred to your account, what was it spent on?

The manner in which it was spent could also help you in proving it was was not given as dowry.

Try not to worry, in India nothing is an open and shut case.

Anand   01 October 2015

I dont suggest at this time to pay the money back to you father inlaw, as it wont help that much as any evidence to support you, as a case with the CAW cell has already been filed.

The only thing that will happen is you will loose 1 lakh and the money will be wasted.

My sugestion is just to wait and see how the situation plays out, if you are sure you dont want to live with your wife try and discuss a mutual consent divorce with her.

You can still rescue yourself. Someone will also advise you to file RCR case and such action is a time tested tool to provoke her to file true/false dowry demand case.

Anonymous   01 October 2015

Thanks all for your replies. I spent that money after one month of transaction on new furniture as requested by them initially. Infact me and my wife both went together to buy the furniture and I have all the bills related to it.

So, will it still be considered as dowry or it will be considered as Streedhan as it was gifted by her parents to her (via me as they transferred money to me)?

Rocky Smith (Instructor @ Calcutta (rockysmith4calcutta@gmail.com))     01 October 2015

Please don’t file RCR.

Burden to prove that the said money has been given or taken as DOWRY lies on them (To prove 498A).

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     03 October 2015

Now you are telling "I spent that money after one month of transaction on new furniture as requested by them initially. Infact me and my wife both went together to buy the furniture and I have all the bills related to it." why you were hiding this fact earlier.

Aditya Sharma (Advocate)     06 October 2015

Hi, Your instant move right now is to file an application with the relevant PS (under whose jurisdiction you after marriage resided with your wife), transfer the money received from your FIL through NEFT/Rtgs and attach the receipt of the same with that application. in that application state your case and say that your wife has been mentally harassing you, and you never demanded any sort of money. that money was gifted to you by your FIL to spend it on his daughter, but now im returning it. also say that i want my wife back(even if u dont want her back). also in CAW state this thing that u want your wife back and a smooth marriage life. my parents are totally dependent upon me. do send this application to SHO mark Area DCP and comm of police. 

regards

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register