LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Braham Prakash (Lawyer - Practice)     29 May 2015

Wife deserted husband, right in his property

Wife of my brother deserted and left his husband in July 1999 without any reason and since than  is residing with her parents and she has not come back till date. My brother is missing since May 2000. She has filled a suit in civil court for declaration of civil death of her missing husband u/s 108 of Evidence Act. As she has deserted her husband without any reason for the last 15 years. Has she any right / share in the property of her husband whom she has desrted for the last 15 years? Pl give case law on this point.

with regards

Braham Prakash, Advocate

e-mail: prakashbr3085@gmail.com

Mobile: 9417155049

Learning

4 Replies

saravanan s (legal advisor)     29 May 2015

desertion of husband would be for one year only from jul 1999 to may 2000 for beyond that period and till now the husband whereabouts were not known.another thing is as per law she is still the legal wife of her husband.so she is also a legal heir to her husband properties

Kumar Doab (FIN)     29 May 2015

Try to find/contact your brother.

If he is alive he should atleast dispose the property and protect it from falling into the hands of  spouse that deserted.

Contest the petition of declaration of civil death.

Mother is also ClassI legal heir alongwith children if any.

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     30 May 2015

Has a complaint been given about the missing person.What was the result of the police inquest if given? As still she is the legal wife of UR brother she has a claim on his properties .

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     06 June 2015

The wife  has not been divorced nor their marriage dissolved by a decree of divorce by any court so far.  Therefore she has not lost her status called Wife and she is still his wife.Thus she has every right to file the petition for man missing and declare civil death.  You as a brother, your mother as one of the class I legal heirs have rights to protest the petition/suit on any other grounds than the one you have mentioned. Keep a track of it and challenge her case appropriately. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register