Criminal Trident Pack: IPC, CrPC and IEA by Sr. Adv. G.S Shukla and Adv. Raghav Arora
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

SwapnaP (Prop)     07 August 2012

Whom should i approach for help in a cheating case

Hi All,

About a year back, I decided to lease out the ground floor of a semi-constructed building for business purpose. One person in charge of the building introduced me to one Mr. Aizaz, who pretended to be the owner of the building. However, we later found out that he was a relative(that was what he said) of the owner and produced some link documents which made us believe him and we gave Mr. Aizaz an advance of Rs 2.25 Lakhs towards deposit of rental of the ground floor. We have the documents on Stamp Papers signed by him and the so called owner. 

However, even after 2 months there were so signs of him handing over the building. After several confrontations, Mr. Aizaz informed that he cannot complete the building and that he would return the money. He gave us a check that bounced.(We were so stupid, we did not file any case against him right then). At that point he returned one lakh. 

It has been over a year and he still owes Rs 1.25 Lakh to us. We have been so patient all this while with the hope that they will return the money. But now, I have lost all patience and hope. 

Can I do something against these individuals? Can I file a cheating case against them? Please help. Whom should I approach for help? Do any special rights exist for women in such circumstances(in this case me)?

Thanks in advance.


 4 Replies

Namitabh Kothari (9930992660) (Advocate, 9930992660)     07 August 2012

File cheating complaint in court as police wil nt help u.. Get an order to register FIR by court - its best for u!

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (     07 August 2012

It is not a case of mere breach of contract, where a person failed to comply with his contractual obligations, it is a case of cheating, for which you can approach the local police, and if they to help you with it, citing it's a civil dispute, go to yourr area magistrate with an application u/s 156(3), on which the magistrate would order registration of FIR

SwapnaP (Prop)     07 August 2012

Thank You for your replies.

Can I go directly and get this done or should I consult/hire a professional lawyer? Can somebody help me out in Hyderabad to take this forward.

Also, how long does it typically take to solve such issues? Also, how much do I have to spend for all this?



Endorse the opinion given.

As regards a lawyer, it is better to engage one as it is an intricate matter and it would be difficult to fasten civil/criminal liability without a lawyer.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query