LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Whether interim maintenance can be granted to well qualified

Whether interim maintenance can be granted to well qualified working wife?

Admittedly the appellant/wife is a qualified Chartered Accountant and
working in that capacity since the year 2003. When the appellant/wife is a
qualified Chartered Accountant and practicing since the year 2003, after
putting in 13 years in profession she cannot be expected to earn only
₹7,000/- per month which is below the minimum wages payable to an
unskilled worker.
11. In context of award of interim maintenance under Section 24 of the
Hindu Marriage Act to a well qualified spouse having the earning capacity
but desirous of remaining idle has been deprecated in the decision reported
as 2000 (3) MPLJ 100 Smt.Mamta Jaiswal Vs. Rajesh Jaiswal observing as
under:-
“6. In view of this, the question arises as to in
what way Section 24 of the Act has to be
interpreted. Whether a spouse who has capacity of
earning but chooses to remain idle, should be
permitted to saddle other spouse with his or her
expenditure? Whether such spouse should be
permitted to get pendente life alimony at higher
rate from other spouse in such condition?
According to me, Section 24 has been enacted for
the purpose of providing a monetary assistance to
such spouse who is incapable of supporting
himself or herself in spite of sincere efforts made
by him or herself. A spouse who is well qualified to
get the service immediately with less efforts is not
expected to remain idle to squeeze out, to milk out
the other spouse by relieving him of his or her own
purse by a cut in the nature of pendente life
alimony. The law does not expect the increasing
number of such idle persons who by remaining in
the arena of legal battles, try to squeeze out the
adversory by implementing the provisions of law
suitable to their purpose. In the present case
Mamta Jaiswal is a well qualified woman
possessing qualification like M.Sc. M.C. M.Ed. Till
1994 she was serving in Gulamnabi Azad
Education College. It impliedly means that she
was possessing sufficient experience. How such a
lady can remain without service? It really puts a
big question which is to be answered by Mamta
Jaiswal with sufficient congent and believable
evidence by proving that in spite of sufficient
efforts made by her, she was not able to get service
and, therefore, she is unable to support herself. A
lady who is fighting matrimonial petition filed for
divorce, can not be permitted to sit idle and to put
her burden on the husband for demanding
pendente lite alimony from him during pendency of
such matrimonial petition. Section 24 is not meant 
for creating an army of such idle persons who
would be sitting idle waiting for a 'dole' to be
awarded by her husband who has got a grievance
against her and who has gone to the Court for
seeking a relief against her. The case may be viceversa
also. If a husband well qualified, sufficient
enough to earn, sits idle and puts his burden on
the wife and waits for a 'dole' to be awarded by
remaining entangled in litigation. That is also not
permissible. The law does not help indolents as
well idles so also does not want an army of self
made lazy idles. Everyone has to earn for the
purpose of maintenance of himself or herself,
atleast, has to make sincere efforts in that
direction. If this criteria is not applied, if this
attitude is not adopted, there would be a tendency
growing amongst such litigants to prolong such
litigation and to milk out the adversory who
happens to be a spouse, once dear but far away
after an emerging of litigation. If such army is
permitted to remain in existence, there would be
no sincere efforts of amicable settlements because
the lazy spouse would be very happy to fight and
frustrate the efforts of amicable settlement because
he would be reaping the money in the nature of
pendente lite alimony, and would prefer to be
happy in remaining idle and not bothering himself
or herself for any activity to support and maintain
himself or herself. That can not he treated to he
aim, goal of Section 24. It is indirectly against
healthyness of the society. It has enacted for needy
persons who in spite of sincere efforts and
sufficient efforts arc unable to support and
maintain themselves and arc required to fight out
the litigation jeopardising their hard earned
income by toiling working hours.”
IN THE HIGH COURT OF DELHI AT NEW DELHI

Dated: September 05, 2016
 MAT.APP.(F.C.) 143/2014
RUPALI GUPTA 
v
RAJAT GUPTA 
CORAM:
HON'BLE MR. JUSTICE PRADEEP NANDRAJOG
HON'BLE MS. JUSTICE PRATIBHA RANI
Citation: 2016 SCCONLINE DEL 5009

https://www.lawweb.in/2016/11/whether-interim-maintenance-can-be.html

Learning

5 Replies

(Guest)

It needs to be clarified whether interim maintenance is denied regardless of the difference in incomes. For example, if wife is making Rs.30000 a month and husband is making Rs.2lacs a month, is maintenance totally denied to her, since one can make a decent living with 30,000? 

Or do they add both the incomes and give a fraction (1/3 or 1/5) of it to the wife?

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     21 November 2016

Delhi High court held that  a well qualified  wife   doesn''t require alimony  when she is well qualified. She is not supposed to be lazy and depend on her huaband for  alimony.If you appreciate this answer please convey my forum  thanks by clicking thanks.See Below:Several Jusdgments in favor of males  I'm reproducing  below

Men Rights India

Men Rights, Man Sense!

You are here: Home

Wife’s attempt to separate husband’s parents, suicide attempt, unfounded allegation of extra-marital affair considered mental cruelty on husband for divorce – Supreme court judgment

9 Oct 2016 by Leave a Comment

News about this Supreme Court judgment have started appearing in many newspapers with the headlines which like “forcing husband to separate from his parents” or “forcing Hindu son to separate from parents” amounts to cruelty, and so on.  As it happens, news headlines may a time don’t reflect the full picture of logic inside a judgment, and sometimes news reports may even highlight a secondary part of the judgment as the main reason when in fact the judgment was based mainly on other factors. This site contains very few judgments on topic of divorce, and the reasons are explained in   …[Continue Reading]

Filed Under: Marriage Tagged With: ,

Audio recording between husband and wife is admissible evidence – Mumbai HC, 2011

7 Oct 2016 by 1 Comment

Many a time there is doubt raised by people about value of having an audio recording which goes on the lines of: “My lawyer says that audio recording….<add here something to effect of not good, not useful, not admissible etc etc.>” That audio recordings are not admissible or good evidence are just lazy excuses or convenient myths which are spread to steer husbands towards the C-word (read other posts on this site to know the meaning of C-word). And what’s surprising is this: sometimes the same people would be fearful that wife or in-laws may have recorded something of their   …[Continue Reading]

Filed Under: Uncategorized Tagged With:

Is there any law which supports men?

17 Sep 2016 by 6 Comments

Recently someone sent email via our NGO website and upon my reply to his email giving some basic advice and further suggestion to join our groups, he replied back asking with a profound question, which triggered the need for writing this article. His full email had only one sentence: “ok thank u but is there no law which supports men can police help”. As an aside, I am unable to understand why do some people (though it has come down a lot) reply to my email asking a further question ignoring the standard large sized red coloured matter at the   …[Continue Reading]

Filed Under: Men Rights Tagged With: ,

Jharkhand HC removes absconding proclamation under CrPC 82

30 Aug 2016 by Leave a Comment

A reader has sent this judgment in reference to another Jharkhand HC judgment dealing with arrest and proclamation under section 82 of CrPC. CrPC 82 can become a problem for those who want anticipatory bail or some kind of arrest protection, and pending that go underground or into hiding from police etc.  In that case, police may ask the court and court has power to declare that person as absconding from justice.  First para of Section 82 of CrPC is below: CrPC Section. 82  Proclamation for person absconding Descripttion If Any Court has reason to believe (whether after taking evidence   …[Continue Reading]

Reform Advocates Act for benefit of common public and litigants

22 Aug 2016 by 6 Comments

Law Commission has recently asked for opinions from stakeholders on reforms required in the Advocates Act, 1961, the last date of which is 31st Aug 2016.  So interested people can read the analysis and suggestions below, and send whatever suggestions they agree with to lci-dla@nic.in https://www.facebook.com/Law-Commission-of-India-1661261260775559/?fref=nf Hon’ble the Supreme Court of India , in criminal appeal No.63 of 2006, Mahipal Singh Rana v. State of U.P., has asked the Law Commission of India “to go into all relevant aspects relating to regulation of legal profession in consultation with all concerned” at an early date. In view of this, the Law   …[Continue Reading]

Filed Under: Activism Tagged With: , ,

PIL format for implementing shared parenting, joint custody (to be filed in state HC)

6 Aug 2016 by Leave a Comment

Here is format of a PIL (must be modified with individual’s own case details), which can be filed in high court of any state which has not recommended yet the guidelines for shared parenting in child custody cases.  Details on which high courts have already approved the shared parenting guidelines are given in this post. Download Draft PIL on Shared Parenting, child custody guidelines (Word doc format) Full text of above PIL is also given below: BEFORE THE HON’BLE HIGH COURT OF “respective state name” AT “name of the high court location” W.P.(C). No. of 2016 Name of the Petitioner :   …[Continue Reading]

Filed Under: Child Custody Tagged With:

Template/Format for newspaper apology by wife for filing false complaint or cases

6 Aug 2016 by 4 Comments

Friends, many a husbands have gone through the un-envious situation of having to deal with a wife who has dragged them to CAW cell/mahila thana, to police, or filed cases like DV/CrPC 125; and if that was not enough, later she proclaims that she wants to come back, or even files an RCR (restitution of conjugal rights) petition on husband in family court.  I have already outlined in this post in some detail on how to handle such now-I-hate-you-now-I-want-you type of wife. But I have realized that the “thanks but no thanks” approach is not working out for many husbands,   …[Continue Reading]

Filed Under: Men Rights Tagged With:

Women Safety: If someone is threatening a person via calls and messages , what charges can be pressed against him/her (in India)?

6 Aug 2016 by 1 Comment

My reply to this question on Quora was flagged as not being a direct reply to question asked: —————– Your answer doesn’t answer the questionThis answer should directly respond to the specific question asked. —————– The reason I didn’t give a supposedly direct answer was that I was asked by someone to answer this question, and another person before me had given plenty of direct information in his reply, so I decided to give a reply which will be more educative than making a person depend on asking a different question for every small doubt – avoiding the the spoon   …[Continue Reading]

Is the term Feminazi overrated?

6 Aug 2016 by Leave a Comment

Recently, I received notice from Quora about one of my answers on their site: We recently found some of your content (Vivek Deveshwar’s answer to Is the term Feminazi overrated?) that violates Quora’s Be Nice, Be Respectful policy (See What is Quora’s “Be Nice, Be Respectful” policy?). Not only that, Quora has requested me to update one of my other answers so that it answers the question more directly. Quora Moderation has flagged your answer to “Women Safety: If someone is threatening a person via calls and messages , what charges can be pressed against him/her (in India)?” as not   …[Continue Reading]

Husband’s EMI towards house to be considered in CrPC 125 Maintenance to wife – SC Judgment

21 Jul 2016 by Leave a Comment

This is somewhat old judgment of Supreme Court, and it brings an important consideration which was overlooked by lower courts: Which was neglecting to consider monthly EMI paid by husband towards housing loan. The order reduced maintenance amount from Rs 10,000 to Rs 5,000 p.m.  While this may cause cheers to readers, it should be noted that the in-hand salary of husband is Rs 9,000 p.m, so effectively he has to now survive on Rs 4,000 p.m.  Somehow the facts of the case don’t add up for me.  There must be more to it than the numbers mentioned in the   …[Continue Reading]

498fighter   22 November 2016

What happens if wife has done post graduation like MBA /M.Tech but has never worked and also has no children? Does the court allow her to sit idle & claim from maintenance without even trying for a job?

Puneet   23 November 2016

Question on similar lines from my side too...what happens when wife is well educated like MSc Computer science and currently working but she has less salary than husband I.e. almost 1/3 rd of husband and at a given condition there are some deductions from husband's salary too as an EMI against loans.In this case whether wife is allowed for maintenance under any of the section ?

Ashwin   10 April 2018

thank you sir

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register