Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Paddy (---)     27 July 2016

When does a sole proprietor needs vat & cst certificate?

Dear Experts,

Planning to start a sole proprietorship business of sellng goods online & offline. The business is not yet started.


Is the VAT & CST certificate required from the day one OR from the day when it crosses a specific turnover amount? Also what are other formalities to be done - is it required to have a PAN card in the name of a proprietorship firm? etc.?


Thank you


 2 Replies

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     28 July 2016

Please approach a consultant who specialises in such matters as Sales Tax, VAT etc. for proper advice.


Please be informed that there is no separate PAN Card for Proprietorship firm.  The PAN card of the Proprietor is PAN card for his Proprietorship firm also.

Amit Dey (LAW OFFICER)     30 July 2016

When turnover of Sale exceed 10 lakh in any Financial Year, then a Sol-proprietorship firm needs to register under West Bengal Value Added tax Act 2013.But if any Slae or Purchase occurs any any State apart from West Bengal,i.e inter-state Sale/Purchase then the firm is liable to take registration under CST Act within 30 days from the date of such Slae or Purchase



Amit Dey

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query