Hello All My Friend,
Please tell me What is the process of court marriage in India?
Isaac Gabriel (Advocate) 07 September 2020
The parties to the marriage shouod file petition before the registrar of marriages, and after the notice period the marriage could take pace.
Mansi Aggarwal 22 February 2021
Thank you for your query.
Court marriages in India are solemnized as per the Special Marriage Act, 1954. The procedure is the same across the nation.
The first step is to file a 'Notice of Intended Marriage' in the specified form to the Marriage Registrar of the district in which at least one of the parties to the marriage has resided for a period of not less than 30 days immediately preceding the date on which the notice is given.
This notice is then published by the Registrar of Marriage inviting objections, if any.
After 30 days expire from the date on which notice of intended marriage has been published, marriage may be solemnized unless it has been objected by any person.
Marriage may be solemnized at the specific marriage office.
Both parties along with three witnesses are required to b present on the date of registration/solemnization.
These are the required documents:
1. application form duly filled and signed by the bride and groom.
2. documentary evidence of the date of birth of both parties
3. receipt of fees paid with respect to the application form in the District Court
4. documentary evidence regarding stay in Delhi of one of the parties for more than 30 days
5. separate affidavits from parties giving date of birth, present marital status
6. affirmation that parties are not related to each other within the degree of prohibited relationship defined in the special marriage act.
7. passport size photos of parties duly attested by a gazetted officer
8. copy of divorce decree/order in case of a divorcee and death certificate of spouse in case of widow/widower.