LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sneha (none)     25 December 2009

urgent

1. Can a person get Divorce by conversion in to Muslim religion and evade 494 or carry away both?

1. The person does not have intention to go for second marriage but can he get divorce by conversion and evade the long proceedings for divorce as per HMA.The intention is only to avoid the long proceedings of court.

1. As she is not ready to come back and for the extortion and harassment purpose has filed false cases with various sections i.e. 498a. 232, 500, 501, 499, 420. And threatening over phone and by sending abusive sms.

1. She has not been stayed with that person for 8 days also and filed so many cases to abuse the person and not demanding maintenance under sec. 125 of Cr.p.c.

1. She has defamed the family of the person.

1. Are there any chances that by conversion he may get into more technical problems? Kindly revert in case any.

1. He has liking for the Muslim Religion and he don’t have any intention of profit.

Learning

13 Replies

V. VASUDEVAN (LEGAL COUNSEL)     25 December 2009

No conversion cannot be used as a route for divorce. Law does not permit this.

sneha (none)     25 December 2009

he dont want divorce he want her to come back

V. VASUDEVAN (LEGAL COUNSEL)     25 December 2009

counselling before marriage counsellors or mutual friends could certain work, if the issue is due to some misunderstandings.

PJANARDHANA REDDY (ADVOCATE & DIRECTOR)     25 December 2009

SNEHA,

THIS IS THE MATRIMONIAL COMPLEX SITUATION, IF IT IS A ARRANGED MARRIAGE, BETTER TO NEGOTIATE WITH HER WITH MEDIATORS TO GET BETTER RESULT INSTEAD OF FIGHTING IN COURTS. 

FOR ANY PROBLEM THE SOLUTION IS NOT ONLY CRIMINAL CASE, LET US THINK OF OTHER DOORS TO OPEN.

MOHANA SUNDARAM (Advocate High court Madras. M-9840908555)     25 December 2009

very good advise from reddy sir.

MOHANA SUNDARAM (Advocate High court Madras. M-9840908555)     25 December 2009

conversion is not a ground for divorce

refer 2000 SCC (cri) 1056 Lily thomas  Vs U.O.I.

Vikas Dharmendra (Consultant)     26 December 2009

I think conversin is ground for divorce if other did not like his/her partenr conversion.

Poonam Upadhyay pathak (Advocate)     26 December 2009

Conversion is not allowed for the ground of divorce.

K.C.Suresh (Advocate)     26 December 2009

Qs. 1 and 2 answer is negative

3rd question engage a lawyer and give complaint to the mobile company from where your sms orgianting

Other questions not ripe for answer.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     26 December 2009

I am of the view that Classical Muslim Law is not the law in India to be applicablke of its own force and both under the Shariat Act 1937 as well as other earlier Lgislations, the Muslim Law is applicable to certain specified matter faling under those Legislations only when the parties are Muslims. A matrimonial dispute between a husband who is an apostate from Islam and his Muslim spouse is obviously not a dispute where the parties are muslim and can not be governed by Muslim law.In India if the parties are hindus and one of the party in good faith converts to muslim and they want to live together despite the conversion by the other party can the court steps in and disolved the marriage?: I dont think so, as that would be against the principles of justice, equity and goog conscience.

The case in hand is a peculiar case. The wife has deserted her husband without reasonable grounds with various allegations to the xetend of defaming the husband and his entire family members with various demands from the husband, the husband does not wish second marriage and does not wants to go through the lengthy rituals of divorce rather he wants speedy divorce by rsoting to conversion, which he can not be permitted by the court. So what do we have here. It is a clear case of Irrevertable breakdown of Marriage.

sneha (none)     26 December 2009

Can conversion be a cruelty to the wife.

Abhay (ABC)     27 December 2009

Dear Sneha,

The Hindu marriage does not dissolve automatically by any of the spouse converting to Islam or any other religion other than Hindu/Sikh/Jain/Budhism. However, the spouse of a person who converts to the other religion can file for dissolution of marriage on the grounds of conversion of his/her spouse. Also the conversion would not disentitle the spouse of the converting person of his/her other rights including maintenance etc.

I hope the seniors would agree with me on that. Anything further to add on to that..

Abhay

Hardik Mehta (Family Counsellor)     29 December 2009

You cannot get converted to Muslim only to marry again. In fact, I have heard that there are some persons who has already married, knowing the fact that the divorce is pending and are ready to face any situation. You can get rid of all the cases at once, if you get hold of one of the case. File the divorce on the grounds of cruelty and after some time you will get the same. For 498a/323 (not 232) you do not worry. For 420, she has to prove the cheating and if she is not able to prove the case of cheating, then you will be in better position. For deframation (499 / 500 / 501), the printed articles or the photographs should be of deframatory in nature. If this is not deframatory, then the case will not stand itself. If you are out of any of these cases, you can counter this with malicious prosecution.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register