LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

@Harish23h   26 March 2022

Unmarried brother property - rights of step brother children

My uncle is unmarried. Since he is the eldest son all the properties are in his name. The house where I was born and family lives and other agricultural land plus house where he lives. He is taken care of by my father his only living brother(Only one other younger brother has also died few years back and was unmarried too). They had two step brothers whom I have never seen as no contact due to sour relations only heard. Since they were much older must have died but would be having children\grandchildren. In the event of my uncles death how would these properties be settled especially the home in which we live. Both properties were at that time bought with joint income\money of the three real brothers who were living as separate family unit from step brothers.

Learning

5 Replies

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     26 March 2022

Your unmarried uncle's  properties  rights devolve to his father's all  legal heirs equally so your uncle's step brother's  children have also right to claim their shares in properties left by your uncle.

Palak batra   26 March 2022

Dear Querist,

Every legal heir has rights in the properties of the father and hence it is general advice that they will get their respective share in the properties however there are many other options for you to oppose their claims. 

Law does not discriminate between step son and biological son. All have equal rights in the property of the father . So far property rights are concerned all have equal share in the property.

Regards,

Palak

Shweta   28 March 2022

Hey Palak, 

Could you please elaborate? 

Thanks!

Palak batra   29 March 2022

Dear Querist,   

Every legal heir has rights in the properties of the father and hence it is general advice that they will get their respective share in the properties however there are many other options for you to oppose their claims.    

In the Rama Ananda Patil versus Appa Bhima Redekar case, the step-son was allowed to inherit the father’s property. However, in this case the events were very different. The applicant was the son of a deceased Hindu woman’s issue with her first husband.

the Court observed that the step-son had gone by the definition of “child” under clause 15B of Section 2 of the Income Tax Act, 1961. Under this definition, “child” could mean adopted child or step-child as well. As per the HSA, an applicant must prove his succession, that is, he must be a relative as specified in Class-I. In the absence of any Class-I heris, he/she could be a Class-II heir. A son is a Class I heir but it does not include step-son (the son of the other parent with another partner, deceased or otherwise) . And while “son” may be used to refer to a grandson, too, according to the HSA, “son” means a male child born after marriage only and cannot be mistaken for its reference in the Income Tax Act.

Law does not discriminate between step son and biological son. All have equal rights in the property of the father . So far property rights are concerned all have equal share in the property.   

Regards,
Palak

P. Venu (Advocate)     14 April 2022

Facts posted suggest that the uncle has no Class I legal heirs. Hence property would devolve upon Class II legal heirs as laid down in Schedule II of Hindu Succession Act -

Class II

I. Father.

II. (1) Son’s daughter’s son, (2) son’s daughter’s daughter, (3) brother, (4) sister.

III. (1) Daughter’s son’s son, (2) daughter’s son’s daughter, (3) daughter’s daughter’s son, (4) daughter’s daughter’s daughter.

IV. (1) Brother’s son, (2) sister’s son, (3) brother’s daughter, (4) sister’s daughter. V. Father’s father; father’s mother.

VI. Father’s widow; brother’s widow.

VII. Father’s brother; father’s sister.

VIII. Mother’s father; mother’s mother.

IX. Mother’s brother; mother’s sister.

Explanation.―In this Schedule, references to a brother or sister do not include references to a brother or sister by uterine blood.

Distribution among the legal  heirs would be governed by the provisions of Section 9 -

9. Order of succession among heirs in the Schedule.―Among the heirs specified in the Schedule, those in class I shall take simultaneously and to the exclusion of all other heirs; those in the first entry in class II shall be preferred to those in the second entry; those in the second entry shall be preferred to those in the third entry; and so on in succession.

The facts posted suggest your father to be the  only  legal heir in the first entry in Class II.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register