LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     05 January 2012

There is assistance for wives deserted by nri husbands...


Help for ‘holiday wives’





Parneet Singh, the new passport officer at Jalandhar, the buckle of the NRI belt—Doaba—in Punjab, has brought a ray of hope for wives deserted by the NRI husbands.


“Now my husband cannot go back to the US until our matrimonial case is decided by the court,” says Nandini Sharma of Amritsar, who was deserted by her US-based husband. Saravjit Kaur, who married a UK-based NRI in 2002 and was deserted in 2003, says, “He got married twice but couldn’t escape the passport office net.” The Jalandhar office has impounded passports of both the NRI husbands.



Like Nandini and Saravjit, thousands of deserted wives have found relief at the Women Grievance Section, which Singh set up in February this year at the passport office. When he joined in August 2010, he found an alarming number of women being deserted by NRI husbands who married them while holidaying in India and then left the country alone—never to call their wives abroad.


According to the National Commission for Women, out of 30,000 women deserted by NRI husbands, 15,000 belong to the Doaba region alone. And only 159 of such husbands have been booked in the past three years. Singh says he brainstormed for six months and realised that the existing laws were enough to tackle this problem; he decided to impound passports of the runaway husbands who were moving freely abroad. “I found that in Section 10 (3) of the Passport Act, 1967, the NRI grooms who have deserted their brides and fled from the country can escape no more. For perhaps the first time in the country, this section was used against offending grooms,” says Singh.



Till date, the Women Grievance Section has received 205 complaints. Passports of 62 accused have been impounded and among these, 19 were found to be proclaimed offenders.



Singh has also asked the state government to make it mandatory while registering a marriage to mention the NRI groom’s social security number, permanent address and contact number in the foreign country and submit an affidavit on the matrimonial status and a copy of the passport.



The affected women or their families can email their complaints to the Women Grievance Section at or call their helpline at 0-84274-71823. The passports of the accused are impounded either by the passport office here or the Indian missions abroad.



Parveen Bhatti says her husband had deserted her just after their wedding in 2008. On her complaint, the passport office impounded his passport—just a few hours before he was to fly out of the country, posing as single.


 20 Replies

Ranee....... (NA)     05 January 2012

Very good.

1 Like


It is not good, If husband is innocent.

All girls are not good even boy too, Before such action many things to be think off.

Some are making money making game, May be it is girl or boy.

But in maximum cases, Girls are the ..........................

Culprit's need to be punished by any means without considering a gender.



Abhinatre Gupt.

1 Like

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     05 January 2012

Good news !

However, This provision should not be used as an additional tool for harassment

1 Like

Ranee....... (NA)     05 January 2012


Culprit's need to be punished by any means without considering a gender.

I agree.
1 Like


can we use this service, if i know that my husband is overseas, his place of work etc? since he has not come back to attend a single court date and i want to make sure he finishes this case, as he keeps leaving overseas as he wishes and he is earning money, where as i am helpless unable to study or work. he has not been in touch with me since 1 year. please let me know. 

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/     06 January 2012

Dear Roshni

very good, very knowledgeable

1 Like

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     06 January 2012

@ Shanti


u can resort to this provision.


so i just get in touch with the contact details, is there a gurantee that i will able to stop him from flying out or atleast bring him back to india. as i want to be absolutly sure before i contact them. 


the latest ways to blackmail nris .......... on the basis of stupid allegations which no one confirms. good luck with government sponsored extortion racket 

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     06 January 2012

@ Shanti, 

approach womans' grievance centre, inform them about his departure from india. they will arrange the for necessary actions.


@ aakash, 

Any provisions should not be misused.


can anyone tell me also, how i am able to get a warrant issued if he doesnt attend the next court date?

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     06 January 2012

@ Shanti, 

from your first post, it seems that u have filed a civil petition.

warrant is issued in criminal cases; not in civil cases.

1 Like

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     06 January 2012

depending upon the merits of your case, u may file an application u/s 21 b of HMA, 1995, requesting speedy trial & disposal.


Ref. : sec. 21b, HMA, 1995 : 


21B     Special provision relating to trial and  disposal of petitions under this Act

(1)        The trial of a petition under this Act shall, so far as is practicable consistently with the interests of justice in respect of the trial, be continued from day to day until its conclusion unless the court finds the adjournment of the trial beyond the following day to be necessary for reasons to be recorded.

(2)        Every petition under this Act shall be tried as expeditiously as possible and endeavor shall be made to conclude the trail within six months from the date of service of notice of the petition on the respondent

(3)        Every appeal under this Act shall be heard as expeditiously as possible, and endeavor shall be made to conclude the hearing within three months from the date of service of notice of appeal on the respondent.

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     06 January 2012

Pl. read HMA, 1955 instead of 1995.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads


Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query