LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anil (Asst. Manager)     25 May 2010

Taxes from sale of a flat

I have a flat in Thane and want to sell it . The approximate amount after sale would be around Rs.15,00,000.

If I want to save this amount entirely , what are the ways available legally ?


 7 Replies

Thyagarajan (Property management)     25 May 2010

You had to mention in sale deed with buyer that he will bear all charges and net Rs 15,00,000 will be given to you

Vineet (Director)     25 May 2010

Upon sale of flat, you are liable to pay capital gains tax.


Please intimate:


date of purchase of flat, cost of purchase including the stamp duty, registration and brokerage


Depending upon these facts, proper advice can be provided. 

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     26 May 2010

If you don't want to pay tax or not want to buy another flat for the cost of the sold flat, invest in bonds of NABARD etc. yielding low rate of interest. 

Avinash S. Sangurdekar (self)     27 May 2010

Mr. anil,

you have two way either invest the total capital gain in another residential property u/s 54 of the I.T. Act  with in two years from the date of sale or thre year if you construct house or invest the capital gain in the bonds within six months from the date of sale.

Vineet (Director)     28 May 2010

Do agree with learned contributors above but the moot issue is that such exemptions are available only if the capital gain arising from sale of flat is long term in nature otherwise there will be no exemption.


If you have held the said falt for more than 3 years as on date of sale, you can avail exemptions available as above and escape taxation.

Shayan Khan (     09 July 2010

In order to save your Long term capital gain on the sale of property is that, u will have to purchase another house within a specified period OR u may invest under some specified bonds as mentioned u/s54EC of the income tax Act. there is no other ways to save the tax in this case.

Shayan Khan (     10 July 2010

please substitute the word Capital Gain to the Sale consideration.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query