Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vishal (Sales)     21 February 2014

Tax on sale of redeveloped house

Dear Sir

I would like to know if tax will be applicable on a sale of Flat which was alloted to us. Note we purchased the house in 1997 , went for redevelopment in 2008 and got possession in 2013 after redevelopment.

Rgds

Vinod

Learning

5 Replies

R.V.RAO (retired)     22 February 2014

there is a long  term capital gain on sale of flat,being more than 3 years holding time.  for your original purchase cost  of 1997 and  also  for  cost of redevelopment of 2008 -  the cost indexation will be done , .From .the  total sale value of flat   deduct total indexed cost arrived above.   .the diff is capital gain.
capital gain is taxed @20%plus 3% edu.cess on tax.
you have 2 options now.either pay cap.gain tax at above rate,or else park   the , capital gain amount in capital gain account scheme in a designated bank ,before the due date of filing tax return.use the capital gain amount in the account   to invest as  per sec 54F/54EC,to avoid cap.gain tax.

note:
i assumed a simple case of a single flat redeveloped and sold.
i did not assume  your  old flats complex given by you  to a developer who will build new flats  and  share some flats with you.

Vishal (Sales)     23 February 2014

Please note we are going to Invest in New Property as soon as we recieve the amount. In that case does cap Gain tax is Still Applicable....

Vishal (Sales)     23 February 2014

To Be more Precise, it was an old building which was re developed and we have just got possession of new Flat in that Building, we have been Tenents Since 1997

R.V.RAO (retired)     23 February 2014

yes,  if you buy a new flat investing the full amount of  capital gains,then you are not liable for any tax.,.

( I hope    you are not  owner of  that   old building, which  was demolished and then, the builder constructed an apartment complex  where in , you got some flats as your share   and builder got  some flats, as his share.

i raised this doubt,since you wrote that you got " new flat in that building" .)

Vishal (Sales)     25 February 2014

Well Its a co - op Hsg society a normal bldg and we were tenents of one flat

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register