LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nirali Nayak   01 July 2021

Sue psychiatrist

I visited a psychiatrist in a leading private hospital in Mumbai. While I was still seeing her, one of my friends also started seeing her. When my friend asked about my details she disclosed some of the sensitive information that I consider private. Can I sue her for this?

Learning

1 Replies

Kevin Moses Paul   01 July 2021

The situation you're currently dealing is serious, but there are few things that an individual (being a patient) should always keep in mind. See medical issues can be very private, patients are usually advised to avoid telling doctors certain details, if the patient believes that the information could be disclosed.

Now, coming back to the confidentiality part let me tell you that the confidentiality rules were established to diminish that fear so that the doctor can be armed with all necessary information to provide complete, effective and appropriate treatment. However, the doctor-patient confidentiality rules vary in each state, where in most of the states, the rules apply to relationships involving physicians and psychotherapists and not to a dentist, optometrists, or pharmacist.

Therefore, it is just to say that the rules of confidentiality simply means that all communications between a patient and a physician are privileged as long as they occur during the course of a professional relationship, they are intended to be confidential, and no third party is present.

And hence, a Doctor May Not Disclose the Information to Anyone Without obtaining proper Permission from the Patient.

So, in case the information disclosed by your psychiatrist to your friend is crucial and should have been kept confidential, thus, you can proceed to sue the psychiatrist in a civil court for "Breach of Doctor-Patient Confidentiality".

Hope It Helps

Regards
Kevin M. Paul

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register