LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

SHEKHAR MISHRA (public servant)     08 March 2010


can   a   legal  heir  of   a   complainant   be substituted in a  criminal  case  after  the death of complainant  ?can  substitution be filed in revision   or appeal ?


 1 Replies

Arvind Singh Chauhan (advocate)     08 March 2010

Sir I hope following material may be help full to you-


Death of complainant- Proceeding do not abate- magistrate in his discretion allow another person to continue proceeding- PAN& HR- Cr.L.J.-1987(2)-1555.


 The death of the complainant does  not terminate criminal proceeding and accused can not be discharged on account of death- Page-1349- BATUK LAL’S COMMENTRY on Cr.P.C.


Legal heir of the complainant/ deceased are entitled to proceed with complaint- Page-1378- BATUK LAL’S COMMENTRY on Cr.P.C.


Delay in filing application for substitution- Acquittal justified- appellant is attending court for a long time- court can not allow case to remain pending for indefinite period- S. Rama Krishna V/S S.Rmi Reddy (D) HIS LRS & ORS -decided on 29.04.2008- SC-CLJ-2008-366.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query