LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Prakash Yedhula (Lawyer)     13 September 2009

Sibal hints at reforms in legal education

Amid criticism from the Bar Council of India (BCI) about the government's move to introduce reforms in legal education, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal said on his ministry was determined to bring about radical changes in the field despite opposition from "vested interests".

The minister said that though there were some "vested interests" keen on stalling reforms, the government was determined to go ahead with the revamp.

In an informal address to the members of the Supreme Court Bar Association (SCBA), he said the ministry was exploring the possibility of introducing law as a subject at the undergraduate level as in B.A courses to enable a large number of persons to gain legal knowledge.

"Instead of insisting on having a system like BA, LLB, why do we not have a BA Law. There can be doctor-lawyer, engineer-lawyer also," he said.

A student pursuing an undergraduate course in medicine or engineering can also gain legal knowledge if law was introduced as one of the subjects in their respective curriculums, he said. 

Sibal claimed the BCI has not been able to bring in the necessary reforms as it was not equipped with adequate expertise and infrastructure.

"There are some vested interests who do not want the reforms, but I hope the members of the bar (advocate) here will support me in the stand," he remarked.

Learning

8 Replies

PJANARDHANA REDDY (ADVOCATE & DIRECTOR)     13 September 2009

WITHOUT AMMENDING ADV. ACT 1961 , IS IT POSSIBLE TO BRING REFORMS DIRECTLY BY LAW MINISTRY,IGNORING BCI ?

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     13 September 2009

It is good initiative. To be a good and law abiding citizen one should be conversant, at least with elementary laws that are relevant in normal course of life.

Chetan (Advocate)     13 September 2009

I think that the Govt should introduce Public Administration because it is necessary that every body should know the government and Public Administration Structure which include law also

(Guest)

A rolling stone gathers no mass.

HANUMANT DESHMUKH (Activist)     15 September 2009

IMHO, it is a step in good direction. Exposure to Legal education should be given even in High School ( 11-12th). This will - 1. promote respect for law and 2. make common people aware of their rights and responsibilities. 3. Encourage people to fight for a law abiding society.

Hanumant Deshmukh
www.hanumant.com <- Free Law Notes for LLB and more.

(Guest)

Law subject is a ocean. It is very strange how law subject is going to be introduced at +2 level or Degree level as an independent subject. LLB is a specalisation course entirely concerns with law subjects only. Is it possiable to introduce a medicine subject in Law degree to bring awarness about medicine to law students? Reforms must be at limitation. Please do not encourage to spoil our education system by saying reforms in education.

HANUMANT DESHMUKH (Activist)     16 September 2009

Dear Sathya Prakash,

I appreciate your view point but every subject, be it Physics, Chemistry, Maths, or be it Law or Medicine, is an ocean. Yet, we do teach PCM and other subjects in schools. Nobody is trying to turn students into Lawyers after XII standard. Basic understanding of the theoretical as well as practical aspects of the law is very much required in today's society.

Just think about this. Today most of the people are afraid of the police. Why? People are scared of Court/kachahari ke chakkar. Why? People don't know simple and essential civic duties like filing an FIR. Obviously, there will be anarchy because nobody raises a voice. They don't raise a voice because there is so much misconception and ignorance about the law floating around in the society.

Just my views.

www.hanumant.com

(Guest)

Dear Hanumanth Deshmukh ji,

I accept with you legal awarnes to each and every citizen. But In our country we can see red tapeism. If Government employees work honestly in our country then there is no need to afraid about injustice. Today you can see crores of cases are pending in the courts. In my experience many of cases intentionally implicated or for putting litigation to the property matters. Who is helping them? There are hundreds of incidents are there under trails are in prisons for years without any charge sheets? who is reponsiable?

In our education system, our present educationists so called reformers will confuse our indian intelligent students brains. Why today generation students are unrest and getting more strain in education?

It is police department's duty to guide the citizens in law and order. If a common man goes to police station to file a complaint even though he is well aware of legal knoweledge, how far he is getting justice?. Please analyse majority of cases. Then you come to know the reality.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register