LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
The Indian Constitution Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Prasad   05 August 2021

Settlement deed with lifetime intereet

My mother executed a registered settlement deed with life interest  in favor of my name. I'm having health issues and would like to know if after my death if my mother has chance to cancel the settlement deed. I would like it go to my wife and kids. Can I write will and mention giving it to my wife even though their legal heirs. I'm analysing all options so people cannot misuse after my death and want my wife alone to be benefited
















 4 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     05 August 2021

What property (ies) are involved in settlement deed in your favour qua "life interest" ?

Show the document to a local prudent lawyer for proper appreciation of facts and professional advise.

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     05 August 2021

 Any person who is the sole owner of a self-acquired property can bequeath by way of will. 

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     05 August 2021

If the settlement deed is absolute and if your mother is having the capacity to have that asset and has the rights to execute such settlement deed, you can execute the your favour and get it registered.  Who is at present having possession and enjoyment and what was the date of settlement deed, whether settlement deed has stated any conditions are to be studied by a local advocate for proper guidance.

P. Venu (Advocate)     05 August 2021

Yes, you may execute Will or even a gift deed benefitting your  wife and children. However, even otherwise, rights of your legal heirs cannot be disturbed or frustrated.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query