Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sharada   03 September 2021

Settlement deed

Hi,

I bought a house in my mother name while I was out of the country. Now my parents are giving it back to me via settlement deed. Me and my husband is separated and not sure how life would take us further. He doesn’t know about this house or this deed. He is abroad and earning well. Now in the settlement deed should I put Ms daughter of or Mrs wife of. Will I get any issue in future of I put daughter of,, Pls help

Learning

1 Replies

Anusha Singh   01 October 2021

As per your query it is understood that you live separately from your husband but you have not mentioned anything about divorce so assuming that you are still married to him you are his lawfully wedded wife.

While ‘Miss’ is used for an unmarried woman and ‘Mrs.’ for a woman who has taken her husband’s name after marriage, the recent entrant, ‘Ms.’ can be used in both the cases.

The prefix Ms. came into the social scenario when people started wondering why the females alone had to change their surnames, first names too in some cases and their prefixes while the men changed nothing. As it was a fair question, the society warmly welcomed Ms.

So it depends on you what title you are using right now and what you want to use in future.

According to me if you are still married and still his wife and you are using “Mrs”  you can put the title as “Mrs” in the settlement deed. If in future you get divorced then you can change your surname and the title too. You can get your name changed through the decree of the Court and by filing an appeal in the gazette after divorce. The procedure to change name by filing an appeal in the gazette is faster and hassle-free way to get the name changed.

Procedure to change name through the gazette after divorce:

Affidavit

The first step towards changing your name is to make an affidavit of change of name. You have to mention the specific reason for which you preferred changing your name. In case you are only looking to correct the spelling of your name, then you should make an Affidavit of Name Correction or One and the Same Person Affidavit (if it’s to declare that you have two or more names)

Newspaper Publication

The next step is to publish a notification or advertisement of name change in a local newspaper (one English newspaper and one regional newspaper published in the official language of the State).

Gazette Publication

The final step ends with the Gazette publication. Gazette publication for name change is mandated for Government employees. However, it is recommended for everyone since it serves as a substantial proof of claim.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Anusha Singh

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register