LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

trishi (manager)     04 January 2014

Security of women officials in job

I am working at X post in Y corporation. But till date since the Y  corporation has been established, there were no females deputed in this field to perform the operations in field which has male subordinates, male labor, male guards 1/2.The post/designation has some duties like visiting//inspecting the operations by forming three member committees of the same post, where 1 female, 2 males and 1 driver shall be visiting for inspection/supervision of the operations whose time may be early morning hours or it may go on till night/midnight. Here i am unsure definitely because every one is male in the whole process and i m one female. And when i discussed/requested my boss, he said that when i m once outside my home, then i m unsafe everywhere and even this is not his or corporation's duty to provide me security while going//with males in 1 cab, performing the duty. 

My query is

1. What is responsibility of corporation, of my security , when i am on this supervisory duty, including travelling with males, and supervising operation done by atleast 100-200 males, in uncomfortable timings as mentioned above.?

2.Also, do i have any legal law or something like this, that could help me deny from this duty, because of the things like earlier, till date since say 1965, these policies of 3 member committees did not include women officials because once any incident occur,it cannot be undone and also, this corporation is full of corrupt people at higher /lower designation from my designation and i am confident that they will then create major obstacles further if i try to report any such harassment if made, to pull me down or throw me out.

3. Are there any other ways that i can present my situation/solve this problem without creating any fuss because its like anyone who fights for his rights and tries to perform the duties sincerely, is seen unfit in this corrupt corporation

Please reply. Urgent. This duty may make me go for 60 days/90 days in these 3 months. Its not about 1 day duty.

Learning

2 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     04 January 2014

Factories Act 1948: Section 66 (1)(b)

and 

Mines Act 1952

prohibit the employment of ‘ women -In occupation which are considered dangerous to their health, life
and safety. and have forbidden employment during nights for the welfare of women.

Shops and Commercial Establishments Act of certain states provide exemption with some conditions.

Certain states require taking permission for women to work till late, subject to conditions such as providing transport.

It is felt that till the employee reaches home, after doing the company’s work, it is the company’s responsibility to ensure her safety. 

If the establishment is situated in remote areas, late working hours for women should be avoided.

Proper policies in this regard may be framed by the companies, which should be convenient for both women and the companies.

You may take up the matter with employees’ unions, Trade Unions, Works Committee, IC and appointing authority, MD’s office and if possible appraise nearest Women Commission.......................................

If this assignment is not conducive request the appointing authority, MD’s office to assign other role.

Due to nature of job, work at odd hours..........................Potential for abuse, agitation, threat, violence against you due to nature of job..........................request for adequate measures for protecting you and women at workplace,  and provisions for security e.g; safe transport, safe environment, security staff, etc........

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     05 January 2014

well eleborated by Mr Kumar DOab

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More