LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
The Indian Constitution Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

JAGADEESH GOVIND (ADVOCATE)     01 March 2008

Saleable area

Sir,

 What is meant by a saleable area of an apartmentment project and whether the common area can also be considred as saleable area

 

Jagan



Learning

 5 Replies

Guest (n/a)     01 March 2008

HI I AM YOGESH

Prakash Yedhula (Lawyer)     02 March 2008

Any purchaser should know the following facts following:


Carpet Area:


It is least inclusive. Carpet area tells you exactly how much space you will have in your home. It is defined as the exact area within the walls of your home, that is, if you had to lay out a wall-to-wall carpet, how much area would it require?


That is known as the carpet area. Thus, all inner areas of a flat, as the door closes, would constitute the carpet area of the flat.


Built-up Area:


Built-up area takes one extra step and includes carpet area and the area being occupied by the walls of your home. Hence, the total area of your home including the area of the walls.


Super Built-up Area:


This is what builders often talk about. Besides, carpet and built-up area, the super built-up area also includes all the area under common spaces - your proportionate share of the lobby, staircase, elevator and corridor outside the apartment.


What is exactly included under this definition is left to the discretion of the builders. Some may even include the terrace, security room, electrical room or pump room.


The total area of these “extras” is taken into account and divided by the number of apartments in proportion to their size.


In general, the good promoter shall not include the following area in saleable area: Society office, common toilet block on ground floor, electric meter room, pump room, substation , generator room, watchman /security cabin, staircase well, any ducts and voids, lift machine room, elevation boxes, ov er-head and underground tanks, lofts, flower beds, common terrace, refuge area, open sports facilities, swimming pool, area provided for drying clothes, ramp, walkways, ducts for various services like electricity, plumbing, septic tank/sewage treatment plant (STP), atrium open to sky, and compound wall.


Ideally, the share of common spaces should not be more than 15% of the built-up area of the flat.


What is necessary is the concept of super built-up area should be made absolutely clear and transparent so that both the buyer and the builder follow a standard norm. If builders adhere to these standards and also communicate them to customers, then the concept of super built-up area would become more acceptable.

Guest (n/a)     02 March 2008

Saleable area is calculated as carpet area(measure area of all the rooms) +20%(built up=on which u pay stamp duty +20%(super built up=which includes proportional average for passage+lobby+lift+garden+terrace area+enterance of building+open area compound) Also---many builders charge 15% on built up(total 35% on carpet) now, saleable area means the carpet area *Note--only carpet area is mentioned in agreement!

SANJAY DIXIT (Advocate)     02 March 2008

Useful Informations. Thanks Dear Prakash & Dear Puneet.

Shib (Systems Engineer)     29 September 2011

Hello Sir,

I am buying a ground floor flat from a reputed builder in Mumbai. The ground floor flat which i intend to buy has saleable area as 801 sq.ft. 1st floor and above flat has saleable area 891 sq.ft. A garden of area 180 sq.ft. is attached to the ground floor flat and exclusively available for the ground floor flat owner. Will this garden area be counted as my saleable area? Will I be the owner for this area? What points should I get clarified with the builder regarding this garden area, kindly advise. Thanks.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query