LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     10 June 2009

s 125 and divorced muslim woman

can a divorced Muslim woman claim maintenance from her former husband under Section 125 Cr.P.C. ?


 7 Replies

sharmilla ram (general manager)     02 March 2010

according to muslim personal law no.but it depends upon judge mood.he can say yes.coz now in india no muslim personal law allhabad judgement no but one sc judgement india no accountibility thats why judge can pass any judgement according to his wish not according to law.

Mansi Aggarwal   11 March 2021

Hello, thank you for your query.

Section 125 of the Criminal Procedure Code has been enacted with a specific purpose to protect women and children and to prevent vagrancy and destitution among them. This law is not religion-centric. It is an instrument of social justice and aims to render justice on the basis of equality to wife, in particular, maybe divorced including a divorced Muslim wife.

Hope this helps.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     16 March 2021

The famous Shah Banoo case was on this question. The court ordered husband of Shah Banoo to give maintenance under Cr.P.C. 125. There was a rebellion by Muslims. Many burned the Indian Constitution. The secular Rajiv Gandhi with his brute majority in the Parliament passed the Protection of Muslim Women Act. It did not nullify Cr.P.C. 125. Many Muslim husbands are ordered to pay maintenance under Cr.P.C. 125 even now. Some used to resort to triple talak. Now even that is not possible.

avadhesh Paliwal   17 March 2021

In present time it is possible yes she can take maintenance 

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     17 March 2021

I did not notice that this chat is 11 years old. It is high time to close this thread.

ashok kumar singh (Advocate)     27 April 2021

yes, a Muslim woman can place her application under Section 125 of Cr.P.C. even after her divorce. the definition of "Wife" as meant for in terms of the provisions of Section 125 of Cr.P.C. is inclusive and therefore its include a divorce woman also. She is entitle to claim maintenance until she remarry or she is sufficiently able to earn her livelihood. 

Arpita Chauhan   23 May 2021

Respected Sir,

To answer your question, Yes a Muslim Women can ask for maintenance under Section 125 of Code of Criminal Procedure from her divorced husband.

To make it clear, a Muslim Women can ask for maintenance from her husband from four sources:-

1. Muslim Personal Law

2. The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Divorce) Act, 1986

3. Section 125 of Code of Criminal Procedure

4. The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Act, 2019

There has been a conflict about Muslim Women getting maintenance under CrPC and this was solved by the Honorable Supreme Court in the Shah Bano Case.  The Apex Court said that, even if there is any conflict, the Code of Criminal Procedure is a secular law and hence it applies to all women, irrespective of their religion, which means that Muslim Women can ask for maintenance under Section 125 of CrPC.

The Honorable Apex Court also stated that in case of any conflict, the Code of Criminal Procedure shall prevail over Muslim Personal Law.

I hope I was able to help. However, I want to make it clear that this information is purely based on internet research, so, if there is any mistake then apologies.


Arpita Chauhan

Law Student


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register