LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Humendra Gupta (consultant)     09 March 2022

Repair of ceilings in housing society

In byelaw 159 regarding repairs... There is clear distinction between repairing roofs (above ceiling) of all and ceilings of top floor flats.

Which infere's ceilings of other floors below top floor are not covered.

kindly provide clarification on this byelaw since society repaired ceiling of a ground. Floor premises which is not below terrace and wants repairs at society cost and not the members.

Have objected since I believe this is against the byelaw 159 for repair which clearly states on repairs of ceiling of terrace flats is society responsibility

Kindly confirm if my objection is correct and as per the byelaw 159

Learning

4 Replies

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Advocate)     09 March 2022

Hello,

Yes, society can repair top foor ceiling. You can approach the co. op. registrar if society incure expenses of ground floor ceiling. 

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     10 March 2022

Are you referring to Model Byelaws of Co-op. Housing Societies of Maharashtra? If so Byelaw 159 (a)(x) says Structural repairs of roofs of all flats. The roofs of all flats are made of RCC slabs. They can give way most usually, not necessarily due to corrosion of the steel reinforcements. The work you have reported is Society's responsibility. What the Society did is correct.

Humendra Gupta (consultant)     10 March 2022

Kindly review my question am not talking of roof but ceiling of a premise on ground floor

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     10 March 2022

In a multi-storey building the roof of the lower floor is its ceiling. These are only terminologies. I have also given the reason why it is the responsibility of the society. The structural stability of a modern multistorey building is based on the RCC structure. The responsibility to repair any part of a building is not necessarily based on it physical location. Please state what kind of repair was carried out. Was it just painting of the ceiling? Then it is the responsibility of the ground-floor tenant. If the plaster had given way or water was leaking through, it could have been due to any action by the upper floor tenant. If it could not be determined whether the upper floor or lower floor was responsible for the damage, then it could become the responsibility of the Society. A detailed account is necessary.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register