Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Cherian (Consultant)     05 October 2010

Rent a house in bangalore

Hi All,

My name is Cherian. My wife and I were trying to rent a hous ein bangalore, karnataka, India and we found a house in freeads. So my wife called the land lady, went a saw the house and liked it, so decided to take the same. (this was 1 week back) the land lady was expecting 10k as rent and we said 8k and she said the final rent would be 9.5k and if we want we could take it or leave it. We decided to take it, so she said pay a token advance, so she can reserve the house for us 9as some work is going on in the house) my wife had 4k with her and was ready to give that, but the landlady said she wants 5k, so we gave her that and took it it writing about the token advance. The landlady said, if we are taking teh house, we should take it by the 1 weeks of Oct'10. We were ok with that.

The landlady, in the mean time got a call from someone sle saying they are willing to pay more rent, but she said she has alreayd given the house to us and she has taken a token advance for the same.

Since we gave the token, we told out present landlord we are shifting in a few days. They were ok with that, but said they will pay the deposit only after 2 months. We had already told them we will shift by the 1 or 2 week of oct'10.

So, my wife started packing, so we could move by Monday this week. However she, called my wife on saturday and said she cant give the house, as her brother wants to stay there, so my wife,the land lady and her husband had a discussion and decided that it is not fair for them not to give the house to us.She said if we dont take the house, she is willing to pay us back the 5k and may be even more. My wife said, she wants the house. So they said we could shift on Monday or tuesday (today) however they want 80k as deposit and want atleast 30k on the day they give us the key and the rest when I get back (i am not in country and will reach only on 9th Oct;10)

The landlady called my wife on Sunday and said she will need to arrange for the entire 80k, so we decided to take it out of our savings a/c and give her the entire amount. So my wife called her and said the advance is ready, to which she asked " where did u get so much money from and how did you make it" to which my wife said, that is not your problem ( as it was very afending question)

Last night the landlady called saying she cant give the house and now we are in trouble, as we need to move out of our present house by Sunday and we dont have a hosue to move too?

What can we do?

What the landlady, has doe is it legal?

Rgds,

Cherian

Learning

1 Replies

venkat (Employee)     10 November 2010

Dear Cherian, If the land owner has changed the deposit from 10k to 80k, mean she is really not willing to give her house on rent,not even for others, it looks like some genuine reason. If I were you, I would find another rental property in Bangalore, where the rental rates are falling in lots of places. The legal cost to fight may be more than 10k ?. But I would Give an advertisement in News paper that what she did to you, so that other customer do not go and rent her apartment to teach her a lesson at least cost to you.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register