Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anil Kr Garg (Business)     14 February 2012

Remedy against illegal clause in bank's loan agreement

RBI's master circulars on Interest on Advances clearly stipulate that

(1) No floating rate loan products must be given by any bank with reference to its own Benchmark Prime Lending Rate (BPLR) but it must always be linked to an external rate of interest, and

(2) There must be an enabling clause in all loan agreements stating that rate of interest shall be reduce or increased in accordance with increase or reduction in rate of interest by RBI from time to time.

In actual fact, most banks incl HDFC and ICICI have prepared their loan agreements without any reference to any external rate of interest but only linked to their internal BPLR which is direct violation of RBI's directives. They increase their BPLR whenever RBI increase the rate but do not reduce it whenever RB I is reducing it, with the result that spread of actual interest charged vis-v-vis RBI's rate keeps increasing from the time loan was taken.

It seems even RBI is not keen to enforce its writ on these banks. My complaints to Banking Ombudsman has not been entertained by them, and even my letter to RBI Governor has not been responded. It seems I am left with no option but to challenge validity of Interest Clause in the loan agreement in a court of law.

Now, I need your learned advise on how to go about it as to whether it could be challenged in a High court or has to be challenged in District court or DRT? Also, whether we can claim that since Interest clause itself is illegal, all interest debited to my account should be reversed, and a compensation for bank's coercive action of recovery be awarded as well?

Kindly advse.

Learning

1 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     16 February 2012

It is highly unfortunate that Governor of RBI has not acted while he should have acted and responded.

You may raise an RTI application with RBI on status of receipt of your letter, reply if any issued and time frame vide which reply should be issued, and any action taken and current official who is acting on the complaint if gevernor has forwarded it for action.

This is a matter fit to be raised in media, since you alone is not the sufferrer and this malpractice of the bank and

conduct of the Governor of RBI is affecting the rights of the citizens of the country.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register