New LIVE Course: Learn the Practical Nuances of IPR Drafting by Adv. Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ameerazia   02 October 2023

Regarding flat associations and their ill treatment

Hello. I m a medical student living in a huge apartment nearby my college in Kattankulathur. I don't own the place i m just a mere tenant. I have proper ID from the flats association and i have for some reason always been ill-treated. So i had a friend visiting me over the weekend, he came around 4pm to me house. We had gone out to eat dinner around 8pm and came back by 9pm. We had already informed the security guards that we will be coming back in an hour or so. But while we came back there was this weird security check asking us to show our IDs. I showed mine and explained that my guest doesn't have one because he does not actually live here. But the security demanded my guest to leave just because we didn't have proper ID for my guest. And pestered us to call my owner to get confirmation about me bringing over guests. Now my owner lives in US and ofcourse i couldn't disturb him at this hour for petty things. So i sadid i would call my mom and let her explain/confirm about my guest staying over. After speaking my mom over the phone the security said i had called somehow and asked them to fake like they were my mom. I m bringing over the guest with my mom's knowledge and i actually called my mom and yet he held such a accusations against me. He literally asked my guest to walk out of the place at 10pm while all his things were already in my house. I understand that apartments have certain set of rules they have to follow. But why wasnt the security check not done at 4pm but only at 10pm. And falsely accusing me for faking a call. Isn't it all too much? Is there anything i can do from my side to actually solve such derogatory behaviour. Because i had to leave with my guest at 11pm and check in at an hotel. And the mental trauma I suffered is beyond imagination because i was treated as if i was doing something illegal while all i did was just have a guest over to my house to which i pay rent, maintenance and every other bill properly.


 2 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     03 October 2023

You can report this matter to the secretary of the RWA and give a complaint in writing about the misbehavior of the security staff including the derogatory words  or the language he used.

If the association secretary is not cooperative then you can lodge a complaint against the security staff with the local police about his misbehavior, abusive language and derogatory gestures, in writing and insist the police to initiate proper legal  action.

This of course may attract the wrath of the associoation who will then come to the rescue of the security staff with the help of the bylaws in this regard, but remember none of the bylaws authorise anyone including the security staff to abuse or misbehave with the inmates/residents of the association complex.

You may inform the owner about it and ask him to interfere.

However, please note that since you are a tenant in that complex, you may not be able to look for reliefs beyond certain extent.

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate and Legal Consultant)     05 October 2023

Show relevant documents to a local prudent lawyer for proper appreciation of facts, professional advise and necessary proceeding if your case is found maintainable in law.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register