Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Abhilash Pillai (Owner)     07 March 2012

Receiving payment in individual name for services provided

I am a web designer by profession and I providing services in my Individual name. Recently, I designed a website for a college. However, I was asked for a rubber stamp to receive payment.

As far as I know, an indvidual does not require to provide a rubber stamp to receive payment, but yet to confirm I am posting this query here. 

Secondly if I am receiving the payment by cheque, do I need to affix the revenue stamp too on it?

I need the answers from the law experts here..

Thanks, Abhilash.



 2 Replies

shriraam (CEO)     30 March 2012

Dear Pillai,

Your question is in two part.  NO.1 : Whether an individual is required to make a rubber stamp or not ?  As an individual you do not require to have.  If the business provider requires a rubber stamp, what is the harm in getting one made on your name.  Pls understand, instead of it, create a proprietorship firm and in that name you will require to have both rubber stamp and bank account -  much useful & better way of doing business.

No:2,  affixing stamp.  Stamp affixing is required only when you receive more than Rs.10,000/- in CASH.  No stamp affixing is required for receipt of cheque even for billions.


shri raam shekher


If receiving payment in the name of any firm, you would have named, you would be required to affix rubber stamp. However, if you have received payment in your own name, as an individual, you do not require to use any rubber stamp.


About your other point, payments received through cheque need not be affixed with revenue stamp. You can give acknowledgment of cheque on the counterfoil of the cheque, or on your bill or through a separate letter of acknowledgment indicating the particulars of cheque and amount.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads


Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query