Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Urgent reply needed under DV case

Dear Sir,

What is the maximum sentence which a court could rule wherein the husband is not able to provide accommodation either in the parental home nor otherwise as the husband is not in a position to make a separate accommodation while the divorce petition is still running in the family court even after paying the said alimony as the court has ordered of interim relief for the wife to go and stay with the in-laws home as they too wont accept the daughter-in-law.

Please do inform about this as we as a family would never want to accept her again ever.

Thanks in advance… But waiting for replies..

Learning

14 Replies

swatirswatir (learning law)     17 October 2010

maximum is up to 3 years, but don't worry go and join SIF and there u will get a lot of help and will be able to save urself.

there is one judgement of delhi HC where it was mentioned that daughter in law cannot ask for rights in residence of in-laws.

RAKHI BUDHIRAJA ADVOCATE (LAWYER AT BUDHIRAJA & ASSOCIATES SUPREME COURT OF INDIA)     18 October 2010

Yes. I do agree with the above views but still i want to know more about the facts of your case. U can call me at 9871158578

(Guest)

Sir,

Would not be able to call you, for the time being I can just tell that I had made accomodation thrice for my wife away from my parents home.  But as I could not provide lavish things for my wife, my wife and their family ppl bought up a big fite as to why some small home is made with no ac and sort things.. and thrusted her into my parents home while I was away from work... On seeing this.. as my wife had already given complaint against me in police statoin as to my not being able at home during nights, (reason me work in nite shi9t) and the planning of my wife to file complaint under 498a, I invariably went to file divorce petition, now after one and half years after filing petion of divorce she files DV act case and judge gave orders ex party even after we filing objections. donno wat to do.. Pls help if u can.. thanks in advance..

kiran rathee (lawyer)     28 October 2010

hello swatirswatir.. can you please tell me the delhi high court's judgment where it was mentioned that daughter-in-law cannot ask for rights in residence of in-laws..

i shall be very thankful to you.. please..

kiran rathee (lawyer)     28 October 2010

hello all of you!

could you please tell me that the thing, the query  which i'm asking from you all is it free of cost or whether i have to pay some for this?

(Guest)

Delhi HC - Daughter in Law cannot claim share in in-laws property

Delhi High Court has held that the old parents whose relations with their son and daughter-in law turn sour have every right to show them the door and the daughter-in law cannot claim any right to stay in their house claiming to be having a legal right to live in the matrimonial home.

Justice S N Dhingra observed yesterday, ''that the matrimonial home may not necessarily mean the house of the parents of the husband. In fact the parents can allow the children to live in the house as long as their relations are cordial and full of love and affection with them. Matrimonial home is not merely a dwelling unit.It is a place used by husband and wife for dwelling,'' Justice Dhingra said. In the present case, an old couple staying in Ashok Vihar filed a suit in the Delhi High Court stating that their daughter-in-law forcibly wants to stay in their house whereas she has her own house in Rohini.

A woman can assert right over spouse’s property, but not on that of her in-laws

Earlier, the supreme court had sought to redress the grievance of several aged in-laws who had been harassed by their daughters-in-law over their property.

“Sympathy or sentiment can be invoked only in favour a person who is entitled to it,” observed the apex court, while quashing several criminal cases filed by a daughter-in-law against her in-laws living in Gujarat.

A bench of justices SB Sinha and VS Sirpurkar also held that “maintenance of a married wife, during subsistence of the marriage, is on the husband. It is a personal obligation. The obligation to maintain a daughter-in-law arises only when the husband has died,” the court added.

“Such an obligation can also be met from the properties of which the husband is a co-sharer and not otherwise. For invoking the said provision, the husband must have a share in the property. The property in the name of the mother-in-law can neither be a subject matter of attachment nor during the life time of the husband, his personal liability to maintain his wife (mother-in-law) can be directed to be enforced against such property’’, Judges had ruled.

(Guest)

Sir,

DV act case Judge had ordered exparte order stating that wife to be placed in inlaws house. But that is not possible according to law and due to Delhi HC citations.  I dont have a propertly of my own.  Either rented or own house. I had a job which I lost due to the cases filed by my wife.  Running to different courts on alternate days, standing there till number is called from morning till evening 430 ...  I dont have income right now.. but somehw paying alimony in family court.  Please do tell what will judge order next? as he specifically asked me about my ability to make arrangements for my wife to stay and I have told whatever is going on ie no job and no property.  Thanks in advance.

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     31 October 2010

kiran ji this forum is free , and no body is supposed to charge you or advertise here.

as advised above join siff  , go to meetings . they can help u out.

IN THE HIGH COURT OF DELHI AT NEW DELHI

Date of Reserve: 9th August, 2010

Date of Order: 27th August, 2010

+Crl.M.C.No. 491/2009

Sanjay Bhardwaj & Ors. ... Petitioner Through: Dr. Naipal Singh, Advocate

Versus

The State & Anr. ... Respondents Through:  Mr. O.P.Saxena, APP for the State

With Mr. Gajraj Singh, SI

Mr. K.C.Jain, Adv. for the Complainant/Wife

JUSTICE SHIV NARAYAN DHINGRA

The present petition under Section 482 Cr.P.C.

assails an order of interim maintenance under The Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 (in short Domestic Violence Act) passed by the learned MM on 16th January, 2008 and confirmed by the learned Additional Sessions Judge in appeal by order dated 29th February, 2008.

2. The petitioner was a Non-Resident Indian, working in Luanda, Angola in Africa as a Manager. He came to India Crl.M.C.No. 491/2009 Sanjay Bhardwaj & Ors. v. The State & Anr. Page 1 of 6 taking leave from his job for marriage. Marriage between the petitioner and respondent no.2/wife was settled through matrimonial advertisement. The respondent wife was MA (English) and MBA. As per her bio-data sent before marriage, she was doing job with a Multinational Company. The marriage between the parties was solemnized on 14th May, 2007 at a Farmhouse in Vasant Kunj and was got registered on 25th May, 2007. The parties lived together for a limited period of 10 days i.e. from 15th May, 2007 to 19th May, 2007 and from 2nd June to 6th June, 2007. While the allegations of husband are that marriage failed within 3 weeks since the wife was suffering from a chronic disease about which no information was given to him before marriage and a fraud was played. The allegations made by wife were as usual of dowry demand and harassment. Since the marriage did not succeed, the husband/petitioner filed a petition under Section 12 of Hindu Marriage Act for declaring the marriage as null and void and the wife first filed an FIR against the husband under Section 498A/406 IPC and then filed an application under Section 12 of Domestic Violence Act.

3. It is not relevant for the purpose of this petition to go into the details of allegations and counter allegations made Crl.M.C.No. 491/2009 Sanjay Bhardwaj & Ors. v. The State & Anr. Page 2 of 6 by each other. Suffice it to say that the learned MM passed an order dated 16th January, 2008 directing husband to pay an interim maintenance of ` 5000/- pm to the wife. He fixed this maintenance without considering the contentions raised by the husband (as is stated in the order) that the husband lost his job in Angola (Africa) where he was working before marriage because his passport was seized by police and he could not join his duties back. After marriage he remained in India, he was not employed. In the appeal, learned Additional Session Judge noted the contentions raised by the husband that he had become jobless because of the circumstances as stated by him and he had no source of income, he was not even able to maintain himself and had incurred loan, but observed that since the petitioner had earlier worked abroad as Sales Manager and in view of the provisions of Domestic Violence Act, he had the responsibility to maintain the wife and monetary relief was necessarily to be provided to the aggrieved person i.e. wife. He observed that the wife was not able to maintain herself therefore husband, who earned handsomely in past while working abroad, was liable to pay ` 5000/- pm to the wife as fixed by the learned MM. Crl.M.C.No. 491/2009 Sanjay Bhardwaj & Ors. v. The State & Anr. Page 3 of 6

4. A perusal of Domestic Violence Act shows that Domestic Violence Act does not create any additional right in favour of wife regarding maintenance. It only enables the Magistrate to pass a maintenance order as per the rights available under existing laws. While, the Act specifies the duties and functions of protection officer, police officer, service providers, magistrate, medical facility providers and duties of Government, the Act is silent about the duties of husband or the duties of wife. Thus, maintenance can be fixed by the Court under Domestic Violence Act only as per prevalent law regarding providing of maintenance by husband to the wife. Under prevalent laws i.e. Hindu Adoption & Maintenance Act, Hindu Marriage Act, Section 125 Cr.P.C - a husband is supposed to maintain his un-earning spouse out of the income which he earns. No law provides that a husband has to maintain a wife, living separately from him, irrespective of the fact whether he earns or not. Court cannot tell the husband that he should beg, borrow or steal but give maintenance to the wife, more so when the husband and wife are almost equally qualified and almost equally capable of earning and both of them claimed to be gainfully employed before marriage. If the husband was BSc. and Masters in Marketing Management from Pondicherry University, the wife was MA Crl.M.C.No. 491/2009 Sanjay Bhardwaj & Ors. v. The State & Anr. Page 4 of 6 (English) & MBA. If the husband was working as a Manager abroad, the wife with MBA degree was also working in an MNC in India. Under these circumstances, fixing of maintenance by the Court without there being even a prima facie proof of the husband being employed in India and with clear proof of the fact that the passport of the husband was seized, he was not permitted to leave country, (the bail was given with a condition that he shall keep visiting Investigating Officer as and when called) is contrary to law and not warranted under provisions of Domestic Violence Act.

5. We are living in an era of equality of s*xes. The Constitution provides equal treatment to be given irrespective of s*x, caste and creed. An unemployed husband, who is holding an MBA degree, cannot be treated differently to an unemployed wife, who is also holding an MBA degree. Since both are on equal footing one cannot be asked to maintain other unless one is employed and other is not employed. As far as dependency on parents is concerned, I consider that once a person is grown up, educated he cannot be asked to beg and borrow from the parents and maintain wife. The parents had done their duty of educating them and now they Crl.M.C.No. 491/2009 Sanjay Bhardwaj & Ors. v. The State & Anr. Page 5 of 6 cannot be burdened to maintain husband and wife as both are grown up and must take care of themselves.

6. It must be remembered that there is no legal presumption that behind every failed marriage there is either dowry demand or domestic violence. Marriages do fail for various other reasons. The difficulty is that real causes of failure of marriage are rarely admitted in Courts. Truth and honesty is becoming a rare commodity, in marriages and in averments made before the Courts.

7. I therefore find that the order dated 16th January, 2008 passed by the learned MM and order dated 29th February, 2008 passed by the learned Additional Sessions Judge fixing maintenance without there being any prima facie proof of the husband being employed are not tenable under Domestic Violence Act. The petition is allowed. The orders passed by Metropolitan Magistrate and learned Additional Sessions Judge are hereby set aside.

August 27, 2010

use above judgement, hire a good honest lawyer and join siff . u need not pay if u are unemployed. if they send u to jail obviously no maintenance payable (how can u earn in jail).

see this .

Date of Reserve: 6th July, 2010 Date of Order: 29th July, 2010   Crl. Rev. P. No. 253/2010    29.07.2010 Harbans Lal Malik  Petitioner Through: Mr. Dharam Raj, Advocate Versus Payal Malik

justice shiv narain dhingra

also the judgement you are referring to is

IN THE HIGH COURT OF DELHI

AT NEW DELHI Date of Reserve: September 05, 2008 Date of Order : September 30, 2008 CM(M) 105/2006

Neetu Mittal Petitioner

Through: Ms. Radhika Chandrasekhar, Advocate  Versus

Kanta Mittal and Ors. ...Respondents Through: Ms. Nandni Sahni, Advocate for R.1 and 2 Mr. Devendra Singh, Adv. for R.3

JUSTICE SHIV NARAYAN DHINGRA

1. The petitioner is aggrieved by an order dated 4th January, 2006 passed by the learned Additional Senior Judge allowing an appeal of the respondent against order dated 24.5.2005 of Civil Judge dismissing an application under Order 39 Rule 1 and 2 CPC.

2. The respondents had filed a suit making petitioner, their son and in-laws of the son as defendants wherein they prayed for permanent injunction. An application under Order 39 Rule 1 and 2 was made that the

petitioner and other respondents be restrained from forcibly and illegally

entering into their house No. B-2/23, Phase-II, Ashok Vihar and from interfering

with their peaceful living. The petitioner is wife of Sh. Vikas Mittal son of

respondents, Smt. Kanta Mittal and Sh. Ram Kishan Mittal.

3. The learned Senior Civil Judge while allowing appeal observed that wife has a right to live in the matrimonial home after marriage but there

was no specific definition of matrimonial home. However, matrimonial home was

not just a building made of bricks and walls. It was a home/place comprising of

sweetness of relations of family members and elders, full of blessing. In the

matrimonial home, matrimonial rights and obligations are to be equally observed.

Practically speaking, the residence of husband should be the home of the wife

where both the spouses have equal right to reside.

4. The learned Senior Civil Jude found that in this case, the respondents were parents of Sh. Vikas Mittal and in-laws of Neetu Mittal

(petitioner). They had separated from their son. The son had taken a flat in

Rohini for his own residence and residence of his wife. The son and his wife

had agreed to shift there on 10th May, 2005 under a compromise arrived at Police

Station. However, the wife did not stay in the flat at Rohini. Her grievance

was that flat was not habitable due to deficiency of fan, cooler, etc. Thereafter, she asserted that she had a right to live in her in-laws' house in

Ashok Vihar and she wanted to forcibly live there which compelled respondents

no. 1 and 2 to file the suit. The learned Senior Civil Judge found that the

respondents were aged parents. They had shown by filing medical record that

they were suffering from various ailments and at this age of their life they

have a right to live peacefully at their home. Since the relations of petitioner were not cordial with them, there was every likelihood of breach of

peace to the detriment to their mental and physical health. Due regards have to

be given to their rights. It was a admitted fact that the respondents and

petitioner could not live together under one roof with peace and harmony. The

common use of dining and one kitchen would create further problems and a

situation may come when parties may everyday land up at Police station or in the

Court, fighting on minor issues.

5. Learned Sr. Civil Judge also observed that the respondents(parents) even apprehend danger to their lives and dignity, as per

the complaint made by them to the Police. Under these circumstances, the

learned Senior Civil Judge allowed the application under Order 39 Rule 1 and 2

CPC and restrained the defendants (petitioner herein) from forcibly entering

into their house and disturbing the peaceful possession of the respondents.

6. Counsel for the petitioner argued that the petitioner being wife of son of respondents no. 1 and 2 has a right to live in the matrimonial home

and no injunction could legally have been issued by the learned Civil Judge.

She referred to Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 and argued

that the right of women to live in the shared household was to be protected by

every Court and the house of in-laws was a shared household and a matrimonial

home and she had a right to live there.

7. In S.R. Batra vs. Taruna Batra AIR 2007 SC 1118, Supreme Court observed as under:

?16. There is no such law in India, like the British Matrimonial Homes Act, 1967

and in any case, the rights which may be available under any law can only be as

against the husband and not against the father-in-law or mother-in-law.

17. Here, the house in question belongs to the mother-in-law of Smt. Taruna

Batra and it does not belong to her husband Amit Batra. Hence, Smt. Taruna

Batra cannot claim any right to live in the said house. xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx

27. Learned counsel for the respondent Smt. Taruna Batra has relied upon Section

19(1)(f) of the Act and claimed that she should be given an alternative accommodation. In our opinion, the claim for alternative accommodation can only

be made against the husband and not against the husband's in-laws or other

relatives.

28. As regards Section 17(1) of the Act, in our opinion the wife is only

entitled to claim a right to residence in a shared household, and a 'shared

household' would only mean the house belonging to or taken on rent by the

husband, or the house which belongs to the joint family of which the husband is

a member. The property in question in the present case neither belongs to Amit

Batra nor was it taken on rent by him nor is it a joint family property of which

the husband Amit Batra is a member. It is the exclusive property of appellant

no.2, mother of Amit Batra. Hence it cannot be called a 'shared household'.?

8. As observed by the Supreme Court, 'Matrimonial home' is not defined in any of the statutory provisions. However, phrase ?Matrimonial home?

refers to the place which is dwelling house used by the parties, i.e., husband

and wife or a place which was being used by husband and wife as the family

residence. Matrimonial home is not necessarily the house of the parents of the

husband. In fact the parents of the husband may allow him to live with them so

long as their relations with the son (husband) are cordial and full of love and

affection. But if the relations of the son or daughter-in-law with the parents

of husband turn sour and are not cordial, the parents can turn them out of

their house. The son can live in the house of parents as a matter of right only

if the house is an ancestral house in which the son has a share and he can

enforce the partition. Where the house is self-acquired house of the parents,

son, whether married or unmarried, has no legal right to live in that house and

he can live in that house only at the mercy of his parents upto the time the

parents allow. Merely because the parents have allowed him to live in the house

so long as his relations with the parents were cordial, does not mean that the

parents have to bear his burden throughout the life.

9. Once a person gains majority, he becomes independent and parents have no liability to maintain him. It is different thing that out of love and

affection, the parents may continue to support him even when he becomes financially independent or continue to help him even after his marriage. This

help and support of parents to the son is available only out of their love and

affection and out of mutual trust and understanding. There is no legal liability on the parents to continue to support a dis-obedient son or a son

which becomes liability on them or a son who dis-respects or dis-regards them or

becomes a source of nuisance for them or trouble for them. The parents can

always forsake such a son and daughter-in-law and tell them to leave their house

and lead their own life and let them live in peace. It is because of love,

affection, mutual trust, respect and support that members of a joint family gain

from each other that the parents keep supporting their sons and families of

sons. In turn, the parents get equal support, love, affection and care. Where

this mutual relationship of love, care, trust and support goes, the parents

cannot be forced to keep a son or daughter in law with them nor there is any

statutory provision which compels parents to suffer because of the acts of

residence and his son or daughter in law. A woman has her rights of maintenance

against her husband or sons/daughters. She can assert her rights, if any,

against the property of her husband, but she cannot thrust herself against the

parents of her husband, nor can claim a right to live in the house of parents of

her husband, against their consult and wishes.

10. I therefore consider that the order passed by the learned Senior Civil Jude granting injunction does not suffer from any illegality and

the petition is hereby dismissed. September 30, 2008 SHIV NARAYAN DHINGRA

i donno why some people want to know some facts on their mobile numbers rather than asking facts and advising here  so that it may help and educate all members of LCI .

(Guest)

Yes,you are right asking facts and advising here then it will be useful to members ,students etc.

you dont no why they want to know some facts on their mobile numbers.there are many reason like privacy or ` kya pata koi to reason hona chahiye.:(

I recommend to discuss the matter here on LCI forum.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register