Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

carterclemency (abc)     14 November 2014

Question on car sale -chennai - how it works

hello,
i recenly sold my 4 wheeler vehicle to a single party in chennai. i just signed it in a paper filled in with detals on the sale and that it has been sold and the gave my original RC and insurance documents and the buyer mentiond he will take care of insurance transfer.. and i was paid in cash..and got the proof of documents from the buyer

the buyer seems to genuine but am just paranoid that and feel like i didnt do this clean and right.what exactly is the procedure to get this type of sale done to avoid any legal hassles.

does vehicle need to be like any other property sale..where we need to go the RTO office and get it done in front of the officers? is that the way it is done..when i check with my friend ,they say nothing to worry and it is common..but am just need some legal advise

Learning

2 Replies

Gundlapallis (Advocate)     14 November 2014

The buyer would have received your signatures in two forms... one He should submit to the RTO for getting the vehicle transferred onto his name and the other one YOU are supposed to submit to the RTO intimating the sale of the vehicle.... but, this is never practiced. 

The risk is... if he doesn't transfer in time.. and in meanwhile should the vehicle involve in any accident or get seized in connection with any crime... you will be summoned as you are the registered owner remaining in the books of RTO and you will have to face the trouble.  

At least you should have taken vehicle delivery acknowledgment from him when you have handed over the vehicle.  Did you do that? 

Even now it is not too late submit Form 29 to RTO yourself.

Form 29 will be available at RTOs office or you can download from this link https://delhi.gov.in/DoIT/DoIT_Transport/fr3.pdf

The risk runs against you till the buyer gets the vehicle transferred onto his name.  Find out whether he did that.  If the transfer process is over you don't need to worry about anything else.

carterclemency (abc)     14 November 2014

thank you sir..
just to be clear and add some missing info...
These are the things i did..
1 .yes..i did filled in bunch of RTO forms..but those were blank. without the buyer info filled.
2. received a acknowledgement in normal paper with details filled and signed by both of us on the completion of sale.
3. submitted form 29 via registered post to the local RTO office..thought that would be safe..because when i visited the office personally to fill the form ,they said even if you fill in..it wont be processed until the buyer completes the name transfer official.so sent it by post.so that i will have proof.. and filed a RTI to follow up on this..but no reply till date..and didnt bother to follow up as i moved out of state..

now is the above enough to safeguard me from any incidents that you had mentioned?

also..what is concerning is the fact that i signed in some blank RTO forms  ..well infact a bunch that doesn't have his details filled..some people tell me that he might just want to change hands of the vehicle and make a profit on resale and I shouldn't be concerned and should be ok about that as long as i received the acknowledgement and signed the RTO forms and sent the form 29..but what i still dont understand is that how can the buyer  just simply change hands of the vechicle to someone else for a profit without first transferring it to his name to whom I sold it?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register