Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

peter rodrigues   06 July 2021

Property transfer from wife to husband

Hi All,

I had purchased a flat in my wife's name when were not married few years back but I want to transfer that flat on my name as we are married couples. please help urgent

Learning

4 Replies

Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)     06 July 2021

Dear Mr Rodrigues, 

For transfer of flat on your name, your wife can execute a gift deed in your favour.  The gift deed will have to be registered with the sub registrar's office. Further, the stamp duty for gift deed within family is very nominal. 

Regards

Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)

District & Session Court, Chandigarh

Punjab & Haryana High Court, at Chandigarh. 

peter rodrigues   07 July 2021

The loan is ongoing so I want to transfer the loan as well as flat on my name

Nirali Nayak   07 July 2021

Hello sir, greetings of the day.
As per your query, yes, you can transfer it to your name. An easier method would be to give it as a gift deed. You can gift property to spouse, child or any relative and register the same. 
Under section 122 of the Transfer of Property Act, 1882, you can transfer immovable property through a gift deed. The deed should contain your details as well as those of the recipient. However, section 123 of the Act says gifting a property is valid only if the documents of transfer are registered with the local magistrate or the registrar. The registration is done in the presence of two witnesses.
As in the case of buying a property, you need to pay stamp duty to the registrar. State governments offer a concession on stamp duty rates if the property is gifted to blood relatives, although this varies from state to state. When the property is gifted to a person outside the family, the stamp duty is higher and is applicable according to the rules of a normal transfer of property.
Hope this solves your query
Regards
Nirali Nayak
Law Student

Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)     07 July 2021

Dear Mr Rodrigues, 

You can also transfer the loan to your name. The Bank Branch Manager will tell you the documentation.

Regards

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register