LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

samsung (business)     18 February 2013

Procedure for hindu christian marriage in pune

Hi, i am male age 26 live in Pune (Hindu) would love to do legal register marriage with female age 25 from Kearla (Christian).Please help me with exact procedure..... witnesses to sign are many so no problem abt that. Main problem is we dont want to inform our family and relatives about this register and we have planned to marry in treditional way after 2 years..is it possible to get register without informing our family?? and would love to have contacts of some of the expereinced lawyers who deal with issue.. 

Thank you.


 6 Replies

stanley (Freedom)     19 February 2013

you can marry under Special Marriage act . 

samsung (business)     19 February 2013

Thank you for your answer but can you please explain what is special marriage act and procedure??

because i want to get registared next month for sure or can you please suggest some contacts on pune wo deal with family laws please.

Thank you.

stanley (Freedom)     19 February 2013


Special Marriage Act, 1954


The main reason behind passing the Special Marriage Act, 1954 was to provide a special form of marriage for the people of India and all Indian nationals in foreign countries, irrespective of the religion or faith followed by either party.[1] The Act originated from a piece of legislation proposed during the late 19th century.

In 1872 Act III, 1872 was enacted but later it was found inadequate for certain desired reforms, and Parliament enacted a new legislation. Henry Sumner Maine first introduced Act III of 1872, which would permit any dissenters to marry whomever they chose under a new civil marriage law. In the final wording, the law sought to legitimate marriages for those willing to renounce their profession of faith altogether ("I do not profess the Hindu, Christian, Jewish, etc. religion"). Overall, the response from local governments and administrators was that they were unanimously opposed to Maine’s Bill and believed the legislation encouraged marriages based on lust, which would inevitably lead to immorality.[2]

The Special Marriage Act, 1954 replaced the old Act III, 1872. The new enactment has 3 major objectives:

  1. To provide a special form of marriage in certain cases,
  2. to provide for registration of certain marriages and,
  3. to provide for divorce.[3]



[edit]Applicability of the Special Marriage Act, 1954

  1. Any person, irrespective of religion.[4]
  2. Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, Sikhs can also perform marriage under the Special Marriage Act, 1954.[4]
  3. The Muslim, Christian, Parsi, or Jewish religions can also perform marriage under the Special Marriage Act, 1954.[4]
  4. Inter-caste marriages are performed under this Act.[4]
  5. This Act is applicable to the entire territory of India (excluding the states of Jammu and Kashmir) and extends to intending spouses who are both Indian nationals living abroad.[4]

[edit]Requirements under the Special Marriage Act, 1954

  1. The marriage performed under the Special Marriage Act, 1954 is a civil contract and accordingly, there need be no rites or ceremonial requirements.[5]
  2. The parties have to file a Notice of Intended Marriage in the specified form to the Marriage Registrar of the district in which at least one of the parties to the marriage has resided for a period of not less than thirty days immediately preceding the date on which such notice is given.[6]
  3. After the expiration of thirty days from the date on which notice of an intended marriage has been published, the marriage may be solemnized, unless it has been objected to by any person.
  4. The marriage may be solemnized at the specified Marriage Office.[6]
  5. Marriage is not binding on the parties unless each party states "I, (A), take thee (B), to be my lawful wife (or husband)," in the presence of the Marriage Officer and three witnesses.[6]

[edit]Conditions for marriage under the Special Marriage Act, 1954

  1. Each party involved should have no other subsisting valid marriage. In other words, each party should be monogamous.[6]
  2. The bridegroom must be at least 21 years old; the bride must be at least 18 years old.[6]
  3. The parties should be competent in regards to their mental capacity to the extent that they are able to give valid consent for the marriage.[6]
  4. The parties should not fall within the degree of prohibited relationship.[7]

Consult an advocate and he would do the needfull . There is a office close by to swargate and you would have to take two witness from either side . I am from pune and you can send me your ladoos and sweets after you register your marriage .


https://wikimapia.org/#lat=18.5229616&lon=73.8702816&z=18&l=0&m=b   this link will get you to the registrate office 

Neelam Narania (partner)     19 February 2013


Kindly go through the attchment you will come to know the exact procedure under Special Marriage Act  1954.

I have associate advocate in pune by name Adv.REVATI -09975755794  just whenever you call her update me so that I will

talk to my associate personally.

Adv. Neelam Narania-7893322661

Attached File : 302209310 christian marriage.docx downloaded: 104 times

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     19 February 2013

Main problem is we dont want to inform our family and relatives about this register and we have planned to marry in treditional way after 2 years


why so, dude ?

better take ur parents and to be inlaws in confidence first.

samsung (business)     20 February 2013

Thank you very much Adv Neelam !!! god bless you..I will surely contact your friend !!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register