30% OFF on all Law Courses until 10th of July. Enroll Now. Use Code: July30
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

naives (Manager)     11 September 2014

Police action after call to mahila helpline

Hello everyone,

Would you please advice on the following situation:

My brother's marriage lasted two years and they have a daughter of 11 months old; His wife has gone to her parents at least 6 times before this 7th time  only this time brother has not gone to her parents' house with or without relatives to negotiate on her/their conditions under their threats.

A few months back when similar situation had taken place, brother had agreed to give it one last go by agreeing with her to move on rented accomodation leaving my old widow mother on her own. He tried his best to make the relationship work but again the inevitable happened. Her mother and father came to the flat and took her. She took all her belongings.

At the time of marriage they had pushed to give a car and we had strongly refused to take it.. They still gave it and when we refused to give our details, they registered it on the girl's name.

Since she is gone and family friends and relatives (common friends and some "extra smart relatives") have tried to convince us to sit down and talk to them about "things" , girl's side had asked someone to get them 20 lakhs from us to end this.

After over 4 months time of her departure, Police officers have come to my mother's house in the last  4/5 days and said that the the car was supposed to be returned to the girl or else the police would have to take it themselves. Knowing nothing about law on this kind of matter, we asked wherever possible and were told that there has been a complaint by the mother of the girl on Mahila Helpline hence police have to take action on this. There is no FIR registered but we have been told that call to Mahila Helpline was enough for the police to take action. Brother is returning the car today with some family friends and the officer(Daroga)  who had come home and has been putting pressure regarding returning the car. We have not been given any copy of any report from Mahila helpline or the police as to what allegations have been made against brother. We intend to go through court after this...

Are we going in the right direction please?Requesting for your guidance.thanks,Regards


 8 Replies


1. Tell your brother to return every articles/belongings only when she signs infront of caw cell IO, witnesses.


2. Two witnesses signature plus that IO signature on the paper which represents what ever articles and things she had taken back.


3. Dont ever give any thing orally, you will be In mess if she plays any foul game afterwards refusing to say that she has not taken any thing.


4. Caw cell Is the first door where the gangs of wife go to shed their precious pearl like tears which is specially practiced in every home now(tele shops of sas bahu are useful in this category)


5. Tell your brother to take the help of his local lawyer rather than only thinking of going court afterwards.



1 Like

naives (Manager)     19 September 2014

Dear ESIS, Many many thanks for your time and reply. some family friends and relatives went to return the car and its papers at the local police station as they had involved the local police too...only God knows how local police was so concerned about their car's return... at the moment the greedy father of the girl has given us a list of 20 lakhs to pay to them as their wedding expenses...things like 28000 rupees just for dishes...unbelievable amount of lies...it is shocking how low Indian families have stooped...they are setting rates of their daughters so openly...we think it's time to file a divorce rather than just wait for them to lead the way all the time...

SuperHero (Manager)     20 September 2014

Consult a lawyer immediately and take Legal advice...they are always there to help you guys...




1 Like


You should not return anything. It should be directed by court. If they are asking 20 lacs then I think you should first find out their income and how much tax do they pay. My father-in-law was acting smart too and I managed to get his PAN number and I sent him his PAN number and told him that I have your income tax return through RTI. I didn't file RTI but it was enough to keep his mouth shut.

1 Like

Rajender Kalra (Men's Rights Activist )     20 September 2014

Giving dowry is an equal crime as demanding dowry..ask police to register a 498a case on the girls side for giving the car..

1 Like

naives (Manager)     03 November 2014

...a third mediator tried to negotiate the terms...Amount was agreed...everything agreed and due to too many public holidays in Oct. now it was decided that MCD would be filed today Monday as Tuesday is again a holiday...they never turned up...her pimp like father said to mediator to get us to make an FD in bank for the amount agreed...He wanted us to take her silly pieces of jewellery to the town to their jeweller and get verified...time was 10am..they were supposed to be at court at 12..but they never brought her photos or ID for MCD application instead started all these funny conditions...I think we should just file for divorce from our side now...but I am very concerned about what other cases they will throw at us...her father has nasty people's company all the time...

naives (Manager)     14 November 2014

just in case...someone is following this story...we filed for divorce but they have not shown the they have recieved the court notice yet...on top of that, they forced the SP to give an earlier hearing date at Mahila court..than the one that was already in place and had been extended on our request...

it's very confusing attitude from their side...wonder what they actually want...we had agreed the ransome they wanted to settle the matter...after so much noise and drama they didnt even do that and now they are playing through Mahila Court...

naives (Manager)     09 December 2014

update is: the girl her father and her father's friend went mahila court, brother went too. Both brother and the girl gave their statements...she said that she didnot want to live with him...he said that he had filed a divorce case already...

so all settled...Mahila court gave them a statement copy each with their signed versions...

she had said that he and his mum and us had been beating us...she probably forgot to talk about dowry when she was shouting to look smarter....after that they tried to give this report in police station about dv...

then took it to local court...Police gave a report to court saying that no such case of beating her was found...Today we have found out that she has now got a new statement...as she had gone again to Mahila court!!!

How can the previous statement be nullified just like that from mahila court!!!don't know if it's the lawyer or the law itself....:((((



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query