LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

RohitChhaba (n/a)     07 October 2012

Oral partition in muslim is valid or not

Please enrich me If Oral Partition is valid in Muslim law. Case Matter is as such my client has filed a partition suit against other heirs and one of the opponent in his counter claim has pleaded oral partition though in reality no such partition or family arrangement took place


 5 Replies

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (     07 October 2012

Oral Partition is not valid in a Muslim Family for the simple reason that nobody has an antecedent interest. There is no joint family property system.  Every man is the sole and absolute owner of his or her property. Since there is no antecedent interest - new interest is created by Partition and S.17 of IRA gets attracted, making the transaction to be necessarily in writing and registered.

MohammedRaffiq Bijapur (Advocate)     07 October 2012

I agree with Adv Bharat.

But however the life-estate may be created by an agreement in the nature of family settlement which is distinguished from gift.

Anjali Sharma (advocate)     08 October 2012

Oral partition of the property is valid in Muslim law but the discreption of the same is maintained in the Mosques.

RohitChhaba (n/a)     10 October 2012


mam@Anjali Sharma please may i know from where did you get this that descripttion of partition must be maintained in mosque

abdul rashid dulloo (proprietor)     08 December 2012

Once the negotiations for partition of the ancestral property of a muslim among his legal heirs were on, one of the legal heir proposed that he be given Rs. three lakh in cash for his 2/8th share in the property and one of the legal heirs accepted the proposal and advanced Rs.175000/00. the seller of the 2/8th interest however expressed dissatisfaction and was therefore asked by the buyer to repay the amount of advance of Rs.175000/00 which he did not do and the arbitrators thereupon  unlocked the premises in which the seller was residing till receipt of advance and handed over the same to the buyer party.

After fifteen years, the seller party files a suit in the court that the property be partitioned and he alongwith other heirs be given his share. What are the options available to the buyer party?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register