IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jatin Jaiswal   31 March 2023

Non payment of electricity bill by tenant

I have rented out my flat to a self-help finance bank group. They have installed a commercial electric meter. Their bill has piled up to a very large amount and they are not paying it. So, the electricity department has terminated the supply. 

But now, a new tenant has moved into the same building on the 2nd floor. As obvious, they need electricity. I want to install a meter in my name (owner) and then again install separate meters for both tenants. Both separate meters will be based on a recharge card system. But one of the staff at the electricity department said "We'll install a meter in the owner's name only when the due is cleared at this address". And these bank guys are not paying the due. 

What should be done here? Currently, I'm thinking to apply for a new meter online in my name and I'll give electricity to the new tenant only.


 6 Replies

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     31 March 2023

The electric bills will be in the name of  ex- tenant ,so get the copies of bills  send the legal notice to them ; you should mention that the  outstanding if not paid within a weeks’ time,  interest at banking rate on the outstanding amount , the cost of  recovery , legal expenses damages and loss of income from my property shall their lability. 

Then you can file recovery suit for bills as well as loss of rentals and expenses. If they are sane they will pay the bills.

2 Like

Chetan Gupta   31 March 2023

file a recovery suit against them after getting inform them about legal repurchase of case

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     31 March 2023

You are responsible as the owner of the building to pay the electricity consumption bills if it is not paid by the tenant.

The department has no contract with the tenant but it is an obligation on the part of the building owner to pay the consumption bills..

You can pay the pending bills and file a recovery suit against the tenant by following due process of law , besides as the tenant is not cooperating, you can issue a legal notice instructing them to vacate the premises owing to such misbehavior and breach of agreement conditions. 

The electricity department will observe th rules and regulations as precribed for installation of new meters on an applicaiton, you cannot take a short cut or put pressure on them to fix the meters at your own whims. 

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     31 March 2023

You can send a legal notice asking the tenant to pay the amount due and give him a week's time to reply. If no response is received, you can file a case against the tenant.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     01 April 2023

Whether the tenant had agreed to pay for "electricity" consumed by him in the rent agreement ? 

If so, file a suit for recovery through a local lawyer.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     01 April 2023

Who are this self-help finance bank group?  Do they belong to a reputed bank? Most probably only the lower down in the Bank such as Branch Manager and below may be involved. If you complain to the higher up in the heirarchy they may take action. In this case the balance of convenience is not in your favour. If you take actions as suggested, it will take a long time to bear fruit. Your tenants cannot wait without electricity until then. Find out what is the short-cut available. If it is possible that you pay the amount first and then claim it from the banking group with penalty, interest and damages, do that. All this if the higher up in the Bank heirarchy do not act.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query