LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Aks   14 October 2021

Nominee name removed without permission

I have a Demat a/c  with Axis Securities which was opened in 2017. All forms were filled along with all requirements sucha s nominee name,signature, photo, and required info about 2 witnesses and their signtaure.

Axis Bank opened the demat and provided me copies of a/c opening forms. Recently, I noticed that my nominee name is not there and bank employee e mailed saying that I have never put nominee name. I am alrmed .I have copies of the form with all reuired documents and a/c was opened based on these forms.

In such a situation, what is the best option to get the nominee name put back ..It is scary that your nominee info can be suddenly removed  by Axis securities without informing you.

Learning

2 Replies

Anusha Singh   15 October 2021

As per your query it is understood that you need information regarding the nominee in your account.

It is always a good idea to file a nomination at the time of opening a deposit account. It is a facility that is available to all account holders. It simplifies the procedure of settling claims of the deceased account holder for the nominee at the time of death or any time after that. K. A. Babu, head of digital banking at Federal Bank says, "A nominee is not essentially the legal heir. A nominee and legal heir can be different individuals. If there is no nominee, legal heirs become eligible for the money and final settlement”

The benefit of nomination is that in the event of death of an account or locker holder, the bank can release the money in the account or contents of the locker to the appointed nominee and won't insist on other documents like succession certificate or a legal heir document. Further, you can change the nominee at any point of time as long as your deposit account or locker is functional.

However, it should be noted that the bank will only give the nominee charge of the proceedings or money when the account holder dies. If the account holder is, say on life support or in a coma, the bank will not give the charge to the nominee.

As you have mentioned that you have the previous documents then you can present them in the bank and there must be some clause in those documents regarding the nominee which you have in your account and ask to add the name of the nominee in any such documents which are important and in which the name of the nominee is required.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Anusha Singh

Anaita Vas   27 December 2021

Contact your bank once again and show them the documents that you have as proof that your name was in the nomination papers and how it is possible that you have been removed. In addition to this, also state that you have two witnesses who have the knowledge that you named as a nominee. 

If your name in the nomination has been removed, you can subsequently make a nomination, by filling up Form DA 1. The form can be downloaded from your bank's website. Your correct details, deposit details, and nominee information must be filled in properly. The form must be signed correctly by you.

Regards,

Anaita Vas

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register