LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rajesh D (Manager)     12 June 2020

Noisy neighbours

A neighbour staying right above my house has become a menace for me and my family. He is a tenant in the aprtment, the owner lives nearby.

This family of husband, wife and two daughters (around 8 and 6 years) are living for about 2.5 yrs. in the flat above mine. They keep moving heavy furniture at odd hours, the kids keep jumping and running in the house whole day, they keep banging wooden stools, play marbles at odd hours, the peak of activity is after 10:30 in the night. This menace goes on daily till 12:30 at times up to 1 o'clock in the night. The family lives recklessly and their careless actions have caused leakage in my flat twice in past two years. Initially I used to politely request the family to stop making noise after 10:30 in the night but they always failed to comply, their argument is that they caanot control their kids, in fact they encourage the kids. I have complained to the apartment owner many times, he does intervene after which the menace stops for 3-4 days and starts again. The tenant has now started confronting me when I call him to stop the noise.

I have sugar, if my sleep is disturbed I am unable to sleep again, I have old parents living with me. We are unable to sleep in the night due to this menace and all this is impacting our health. I am thinking of seeking mediation from our apartment owner's association in the matter but not sure if it will work since our association doesn't have any written rules around this.

Is there any provision in law or a solution to deal with this menace? Is it wise to seek help from police?

Thanks in advance.


 1 Replies

Deeksha Chugh   12 June 2020


Such a problem can be resolved through mediation and discussion. If the family is on rent you can complain to the landlord at first instance and if the problem still persists then the last option i would suggest it to seek help from police. In the end you may file a case for nuisance but i will suggest try resolving the problem at your end first before resorting to legal means.

I hope it helps.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register