LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

hbkishor (accountant)     02 October 2012

Ni act 138

I had issued a cheque to my previous employer. Further I could not manage the fund in time. Cheque issued by me was presented by my employer with bank. In mean while I deposited fund in my account, but the cheque was returned before the deposit relects in my account.

I asked them to represent the cheque, but they asked me to issue another cheque in lieu of old and dishounered cheque. I asked them to return back the old cheque. They again requested to issue a new cheque as they needed fund immediatly and assred me verbaly that they will return back the cheque as earliest possible. In goodfaith, I issued a new cheque for the same amount to them and its mentioned on the cheque that "this cheque was issued in lieu of old boumced cheque no.........". and I given STOP PAYMENT for old cheque.

Further I asked them to give back my old cheque, but not given and repling me that cheque was not came back to them.

After some time I received notice u/s 138 from them to pay the money otherwise they will file case against me. I also replied by Legal notice stating that I already paid the money vide new cheque number........ in lieu of old cheque. My employer not responde my notice.

Now after 5 years I got warrant from court that u/s 138 case filed on me for non payment. I firstly got bail.

My query is how I can go further in this matter. I have the cheque copy which mentined clearly that new cheques was issued in lieu of old cheque. My bank account also debited for the amount of new cheque. And I also comfirmed from bank that this amount was credited to my employer account.

Further, may I ask to court to take action against my employer for filling a wrong case against me.

Kindly guid me.

Learning

2 Replies

YOGESHWAR. (ADVOCATE HIGH COURT-criminal /civil -youract@gmail.com)     02 October 2012

First get copies of all documents from court, if you have written on the back of earlier cheque as mentoned it is sufficient for dismissal of the complaint.

If not you have to contest on techinicals but you can come out easily.

R Trivedi (advocate.dma@gmail.com)     02 October 2012

1. Find out when the cheque bounced ?

2. How come you got the warrant after 5 years, was the first cheque undated ?

3. It also implies that the case was filed five years back, and court issued some kind of warrant to you ?

4. What is the present status.

5. If anywhere on the cheque it is written (it must be on back side), that the stated cheque is issued in lieu of some old cheque number, then you are perfectly safe. 

6. Yes, you can drag him to court, and you must, but first settle your problem. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register