LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Need Help (Owner)     27 September 2010

Never got the posession of flat


We purchased a flat from an agent fews years back but never got the possession to it as the person who was living in the house never did vacate it. This person to us was knows as the "tenant" and would leave as soon as we pay money for the flat. That did not happen.

The person actually was the first buyer but failed to pay the total amount of the flat for 8-10 months. They never registered a lease or sale of flat agreement, there is no legal document registered for this deal.

We then bought the flat and now have the legal agreement on our name but we did not get the possession as this person is not ready to vacate even after all his money was returned by the agent. (Bank proof)

Along with the owner, we had then field a case in court about 3 years ago. All this time the person has failed to give a reply and hence court had asked him to pay security deposit and monthly rent for all the past and present months. He did not pay the money for almost 9 months untill now when he refused to submit his flat possession to court receiver. After that he has delayed the limit for some days and then moved a motion and paid the money.

What I understand is that now the interim relief is over and we have not got a date for the case since last 2 months. After consulting few more laywers, they say now it will take 5 - 10 yrs more to get some judgment on this issue.

Can someone throw some insights or any advice how to tackle this?



 7 Replies

Need Help (Owner)     28 September 2010

Please comment!

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     30 September 2010

You consult other good local advocate and show him/her all the case papers, because anything concrete can be advised only after studying the whole case properly.  Tell your lawyer to take quick dates to expediate the matter. If the court have issued the order to deliver the possession to the court receiver and he has flatly refused to comply with the order then, it is contempt of court. 

1 Like

Need Help (Owner)     30 September 2010

The court has now accepted his motion to pay the amount, he has paid the amount after the due date and after refusing the court receiver. Can I still raise this issue in the court?

I had taken advice from another advocate and he did point me out that why you did not raise the issue of "contempt of court". If I can raise this issue in court now, will it be helpful in anyway. I fail to understand why my advocate did not point this out as others have.

Also, how to take quick dates as mention by you? Advocates say that since he has paid the amount, now it will take a long long time for this case to get to a judgment. Please Help.

Y V Vishweshwar Rao (Advocate )     30 September 2010


I agree with the view of  Advt Archana  ! and add that ;-

 I  am of the view  that you filed  a  suit  for recovery of possession from the person who is residing in the flat with out any right and entitlement and what ever the money paid  by him to Vendor was returned to him , his Sale Transaction/Agreement   with  Your Vendor  was Cancelled and then only you purchased it under  Registered Sale Deed . The Vendor under obligation to   Vacate him and deliver Vacant  possession  to you . I think you have filed  the suit  for recovery of  possession   against  the said  person in possession and also  formally  against your vendor . Interim orders are granted receiver is appointed  , the Money directed by the Court initially not paid with in time by the said person and  when Receiver tried to take interim custody , then he moved a petition and paid amount as directed by the Court though not with in time and the Court permitted him to deposit the amount . Now the Interim orders are continuing  !!!  and the suit  is at trial stage . No w you have to  insist for early disposal of  the suit to get a decree for recovery of possession , if you /plaintiff are/is senior Citizen , a petition can be filed   for early disposal of the suit , otherwise also you can insist and request the Court for early disposal of the  suit in view of your urgency and circumstances of the case .. 

My above view is subject to verification of  Court Proceedings  and other facts of the case , in consultation of your local  Advocate  !

1 Like

Need Help (Owner)     30 September 2010

Thankyou Vishweshwar Ji,

I would like to make it more clear that the suit is filed by the owner of the flat and  I am the second plantiff.  The house is owned by and elderly person but I do not know if he qualifies for being a senior citizne, assuming the age  60+ as senior citizne. I will check on this.

Also, the maintenance of the flat has been paid by me as it was told to me that it is an essential point. Previously the same was paid by the owner of the flat. Should I continue ot pay maintenance or stop it as it's already been 2+ years I'm paying the maintenance. Why should he enjoy on my pocket.

Also, there was no legal agreement / documentation took place in the earlier  Transaction/Agreement. Nothing was registered or documented.

Y V Vishweshwar Rao (Advocate )     30 September 2010

The situation of the  Flat-property  is not mentioned . However , it is better to  take advice from the Building/Apartments owners Association to conclude regarding the Payment / or/  non  payment of maintenance  Charges  with reference  to their  Regulations/Rules  , not payment of Maintenance  is connected with  Common Facilities to be proved  by the Association  in the Building   and the  supply of  Common facilities to  the Flat ,  it is  connected with the Building Owners/Flat Owners Association . 

Y V Vishweshwar Rao (Advocate )     05 October 2010

 Correction ;-Common  facilities to be provided  by the Association  Association 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query