Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Karthik (NA)     01 June 2013

Need clarification on senior citizen n parents welfare

Hi all,

I'm 24 years old. 

My dad is a retired teacher and he is getting pension around 10K.  He is 63 yrs old.  Am taking care of them in the best possible way. 

I have a elder brother and he got married one year back. He is not caring about  parents since marriage. Is it mandatory to give support financial as well as taking care of them ? Is there any law which will make him to give money to take care of them for medical and other things ??? 

Looking forward for your suggestions. Thanks in advance

Regards,

Karthik

Learning

12 Replies

SRISHAILA.DHARANI (Advocate&consultant)     01 June 2013

Dear Friend,

He is your Father, since  you are born ,  he has taken care of you, your studies, your wellbeing, your marriage etc etc etc.You want shirk from your responsibility, from taking care of him.It is unfortunate , to see this kind of message, from , in this esteemed web portal.

Dude, please take care of your father , instead of asking  this kind of nonsence , meaningless question.Think, after you become father, if your son ask the same kind of question HOW DO YOU FEEL

Srishaila,advocate,bangalore,9741425514,sdharani120@gmail.com

Kumar Doab (FIN)     01 June 2013

As per Indian law, it is the bounden duty of a child to maintain his/her parents, if the parents do not have their own source of income, or, they are incapable of looking after themselves.

The senior citizen parent ca n seek recourse under:

- Under Section 125 Criminal Procedure Code

-MAINTENANCE AND WELFARE OF PARENTS AND SENIOR CITIZENS ACT, 2007 : The Bill caps the maximum monthly allowance at Rs 10,000 per month.

Punishment for not paying the required monthly allowance shall be Rs 5,000 or up to three months imprisonment or both.

Have a Heart Foundation (Sales & Mktng)     01 June 2013

It is the responsibility of both children to take care of the needs and requirements of the ageing parents.

Parents can claim maintenance from both children if the pension amount is not sufficient.

THE MAINTENANCE AND WELFARE OF PARENTS AND SENIOR CITIZENS ACT, 2007 

AN ACT 

to provide for more effective provisions for the maintenance and welfare of parents and 

senior citizens guaranteed and recognized under the Constitution and for matters 

connected therewith or incidental thereto. 

Be it enacted by Parliament in the Fifty-eighth Year of the Republic of India as follows :- 

CHAPTER 1 

PRELIMINARY 

1. Short title extent, Application and commencement : (1) This Act may 

be called the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007. 

(2) It Extends to the whole of India except the State of Jammu and Kashmir and it applies 

also to citizens of India outside India. 

(3) It shall come into force in a State on such date as the State Government may, by 

notification in the Official Gazette, appoint. 

2. Definitions : In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,— 

(a) “children” includes son, daughter, grandson and grand-daughter but does not 

include a minor; 

(b) “maintenance” includes provision for food, clothing, residence and medical 

attendance and treatment; 

(c) “minor” means a person who, under the provisions of the Indian Majority Act, 1875, (9 

of 1875) is deemed not to have attained the age of majority; 

(d) “parent” means father or mother whether biological, adoptive or step father or step 

mother, as the case may be, whether or not the father or the mother is a senior citizen; 

(e) “prescribed” means prescribed by rules made by the State Government under this 

Act; 

(f) “property” means property of any kind, whether movable or immovable, ancestral or 

self acquired, tangible or intangible and includes rights or interests in such property; 

(g) “relative” means any legal heir of the childless senior citizen who is not a minor and 

is in possession of or would inherit his property after his death; 

(h) “senior Citizen” means any person being a citizen of India, who has attained the age 

of sixty years or above; 

(i) “State Government”, in relation to a Union territory, means the administrator thereof appointed under article 239 of the Constitution; 

(j) “Tribunal” means the Maintenance Tribunal constituted under section 7; 

(k) “welfare” means provision for food, health care, recreation centres and other 

amenities necessary for the senior citizens. 

3. Act to have overriding effect : The provisions of this Act shall have effect 

notwithstanding anything inconsistent therewith contained in any enactment other than this Act, or 

in any instrument having effect by virtue of any enactment other than this Act. 

CHAPTER II 

MAINTENANCE OF PARENTS AND SENIOR CITIZENS 

4. Maintenance of parents and senior citizens : (1) A senior citizen including parent who 

is unable to maintain himself from his own earning or out of the property owned by him, shall be 

entitled to make an application under section 5 in case of— 

(i) parent or grand-parent, against one or more of his children not being a minor; 

(ii) a childless senior citizen, against such of his relative referred to in clause (g) of 

section 2. 

(2) The obligation of the children or relative, as the case may be, to maintain a senior citizen 

extends to the needs of such citizen so that senior citizen may lead a normal life. 

(3) The obligation of the children to maintain his or her parent extends to the needs of such 

parent either father or mother or both, as the case may be, so that such parent may lead a normal 

life. 

(4) Any person being a relative of a senior citizen and having sufficient means shall 

maintain such senior citizen provided he is in possession of the property of such senior citizen or 

he would inherit the property of such senior citizen: 

Provided that where more than one relatives are entitled to inherit the property of a senior 

citizen, the maintenance shall be payable by such relative in the proportion in which they would 

inherit his property. 

5. Application for maintenance : (1) An application for maintenance under section 4, may 

be made— 

(a) by a senior citizen or a parent, as the case may be; or 

(b) if he is incapable, by any other person or organisation authorised by him; or 

(c) the Tribunal may take cognizance suo motu. 

Explanation.- For the purposes of this section “organisation” means any voluntary 

association registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860, (21 of 1860) or any other law 

for the time being in force. 

(2) The Tribunal may, during the pendency of the proceeding regarding monthly 

allowance for the maintenance under this section, order such children or relative to make a 

monthly allowance for the interim maintenance of such senior citizen including parent and to pay 

the same to such senior citizen including parent as the Tribunal may from time to time direct. 

(3) On receipt of an application for maintenance under sub-section (1) after giving notice 

of the application to the children or relative and after giving the parties an opportunity of being 

heard, hold an inquiry for determining the amount of maintenance.

(4) An application filed under sub-section (2) for the monthly allowance for the 

maintenance and expenses for proceeding shall be disposed of within ninety days from the date 

of the service of notice of the application to such person: 

Provided that the Tribunal may extend the said period, once for a maximum period of thirty 

days in exceptional circumstances for reasons to be recorded in writing. 

(5) An application for maintenance under sub-section (1) may be filed against one or more 

persons: 

Provided that such children or relative may implead the other person liable to maintain 

parent in the application for maintenance. 

(6) Where a maintenance order was made against more than one person, the death of 

one of them does not affect the liability of others to continue paying maintenance. 

(7) Any such allowance for the maintenance and expenses for proceeding shall be 

payable from the date of the order, or, if so ordered, from the date of the application for 

maintenance or expenses of proceeding, as the case may be. 

(8) If, children or relative so ordered fail, without sufficient cause to comply with the order, 

any such Tribunal may, for every breach of the order, issue a warrant for levying the amount due 

in the manner provided for levying fines, and may sentence such person for the whole, or any 

part of each month’s allowance for the maintenance and expenses of proceeding, as the case 

may be, remaining unpaid after the execution of the warrant, to imprisonment for a term which 

may extend to one month or until payment if sooner made whichever is earlier: 

Provided that no warrant shall be issued for the recovery of any amount due under this 

section unless application be made to the Tribunal to levy such amount within a period of three 

months from the date on which it became due.

6. Jurisdiction and procedure :

(1) The proceedings under section 5 may be taken 

against any children or relative in any district— 

(a) where he resides or last resided; or (b) where children or relative resides. 

(2) On receipt of the application under section 5, the Tribunal shall issue a process for 

procuring the presence of children or relative against whom the application is filed. 

(3) For securing the attendance of children or relative the Tribunal shall have the power of 

a Judicial Magistrate of first class as provided under the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973. (2 of 

1974) 

(4) All evidence to such proceedings shall be taken in the presence of the children or 

relative against whom an order for payment of maintenance is proposed to be made, and shall be 

recorded in the manner prescribed for summons cases: 

Provided that if the Tribunal is satisfied that the children or relative against whom an order 

for payment of maintenance is proposed to be made is wilfully avoiding service, or wilfully 

neglecting to attend the Tribunal, the Tribunal may proceed to hear and determine the case ex 

parte. 

(5) Where the children or relative is residing out of India, the summons shall be served by 

the Tribunal through such authority, as the Central Government may by notification in the official 

Gazette, specify in this behalf. 

(6) The Tribunal before hearing an application under section 5 may, refer the same to a Conciliation Officer and such Conciliation Officer shall submit his findings within one month and if amicable settlement has been arrived at, the Tribunal shall pass an order to that effect. 

Explanation.- For the purposes of this sub-section “Conciliation Officer” means any person 
or representative of an organisation referred to in Explanation to sub-section (1) of’ section 5 or 
the Maintenance Officers designated by the State Government under subsection (1) of section 18 
or any other person nominated by the Tribunal for this purpose

Karthik (NA)     02 June 2013

Hi SRISHAILA.DHARANI,

Thanks for your reply.

Please understand my situation. I feel great for taking care of them infact i think my life will get completed by keeping them happy ... I raised this question because my elder brother is not doing anything for them.. I never expect anything from him too but my dad has put all his retirement money and sold the home which we lived earlier and build the home which is registered against his name. Now after marriage he is claiming the home and asking us to leave.Thats the reason for this question. 

Dear Kumar Doab & Need Justice & Suresh A

Thanks all for your replies.  Pension is 10K, its not that much sufficient. And more over i have posted above which is the reason for this question. If we go out of this home, they need money for rent, medical and food and other expeneses. Please help me if there is any specific way to get the justice . 

Regards,

Karthik

Gopal Arora (Engineer)     02 June 2013

If your brother is asking you and your father to vacate the house, which was built by money given by your father to him, then why not ask him to return father's money with interest? Do you have proofs showing your father gave money to him and he built the house?

SRISHAILA.DHARANI (Advocate&consultant)     02 June 2013

Hi Karthik,

In that case, your father can file petition before the family court for maintenece and also file a complaint to the police station narrating the facts .The police will help in counselling your brother.

Your father can file complaint, under section 125 crpc, in the megistrate court, against your brother , for matainance and the court will definetly will come to your father;s help.

Apart from this your father can also file a petition in the megistarte court, under DOMESTIC VIOLENCE ACT 2005 , UNDER SECTION 12, 17[ RIGHT TO RESIDE IN THE HOUSE] ,18[ PROTECTION ORDER] ,19[ RESIDENCE ORDER] ,20[ MONEITWERTY RELIEFS] , 22 [ COMPENSATION ORDER ] and 23 [ POWER TO GRANT INTERIM EXPARTY ORDER] and also your fatjer can file along with this petition, an application for inunction restraining your brother , from throughing your father from the house.

FINALLY , YOUR FATHER CAN ALSO FILE CIVIL SUIT FOR DECLARATION AND INJUNCTION AGAINST YOUR BROTHER , BY YOUR FATHER.

Srishaila,advocate,bangalore,9741425514,sdharani120@gmail.com

Dear Gopal Arora,

My father has already asked the money without interest itself but he is not ready to give even a lakh since the documents are in his favour. Moreover around 1.1 lakhs was given through cheque remaining all the amounts are given through cash. Bank passbook is there which contains the ATM withdrawl details but it seems its not enough because in home documents its no where mentioned that dad has sponsored more than 98 % of the total expenditure. 

And i have the audio of the call between me and him in which he has mentioned that dad has given more than 95 % 

Do you think its enough for the proof ?  Looking forward for your response.

Hi SRISHAILA.DHARANI,

Thanks for mentioning all the sections. I guess its more helpful. 

I have already went to few lawyers and they have told like since the documents is in his favour and there is no proper evidence like cheque/DD/Online apart from ATM withdrawl, its little tough for them to crack this. So please tell your thoughts on this 

Since my father is getting pension. Will the court wont grant any justice for maintainence and what about my mom ? Is it possible for my mom to file a case ? 

And i want clarity on one more thing . Currently we are residing in the house since the beginning. He lived here for around 6 months and after that he moved to another city for his job and comes here once a month. Since the home is registered against his name, is it possible for him to come and stay here directly with his wife and throw us out. My questions might be silly but we are so worried , and thats the reason to get clarity on every little detail.

Thanks for your response 

Regards,

Karthik

Vyasamoorthy (Consultant)     14 August 2013

Yes. iMaintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act 2007 obligates wards to take care of senior ctizens. You can help Your father to file an appeal under this ACT to tribunal. Usually the RDO in your district should be approached. Tribunal can ask the son to help father financially by specifying an amount not exceeding Rs 10,000/- . Father can proceed against anyone or more of the sons to provde maintenance allowance. If your father is not willing to ask your brother you can do very little except appealing to moral responsibility with your brother. 

The punishment of a jail term or fine is applicable only in the case of ABANDONMENT. Such punishment s not for not taking care of parents financially.

Yes, your mother can file an appeal under MWPSCA. Compensation will be awarded by the tribunal if the parents are not in a postion to maintain the same lifestyle they are used to with their own sources of income.

House registered in your brother's name complicates the issue. Unless your father can prove that funding the house came from his resources and contribution from your brother is nil, problems could easily arise.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register