Negotiable Instruments: Exhaustive Coverage by Adv Roma Bhagat. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jayanta Bandyopadhyay   05 December 2021

Mutation fees to municipal corporation

After a long decade, since my father's death,  I am taking probate against registered will. Could I pay mutation fees thru e mode directly to Corporation. I am from Bally, but just demerged from Howrah Municipal Corp, West Bengal.

For my next generation, should I opt for Gift Deed route, as many lawyers suggest this being much cost and time effective. 

Please guide me.


 1 Replies

Megha   08 January 2022


Before proceeding with mutation, please make sure that the property is registered.  You can pay the mutation fee online on Banglarbhumi web portal.  Login and fill all the necessary details in the mutation form.  Once this is done, a reference number will be generated pursuant to which you can proceed with online payment of fees.  Here, fill in the payment type and other details sought. 

Upon payment of the mutation fees, the mutation case number will be registered immediately.   

You can bequeath the property either by way of a gift or through a will with prior opinion from your concerned lawyer.  

Under a gift, the property is bequeathed to the donee during the lifetime of the donor itself.  Transfer though a gift must be registered and stamp duty on the market value of the property and in accordance with the laws of the state where the property is located, shall be paid at the time of registration.  

Contrary to the bequeathal under a gift deed, property under a will pass down as inheritance only after the death of the transferor.  No stamp duty is payable on a gift deed.  

The choice with regards to the mode of passing down the property must be made after evaluating all necessary factors in consultation with your legal advisor.  

Best regards,

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register