LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

RAJESHWARAN (Owner)     12 November 2022

Mutation entry in property card without heirship certificate

A plot of land belonged to my father who died intestate. My brother refused to recognize my 1/2 share in the property, even though the society transferred the share certificate with my name first. In order to settle the ownership of 1/2 share, I approached local civil court for Heirship certificate & the same was issued to me to the extent of  my1/2 share only after contest, because my brother opposed grant of heirship certificate claiming that he is in possession & there is a mutual understanding between me & him that the entire property is his exclusively.

Overruling his objection, the court granted to me heirship certificate to the extent of my 1/2 share & also recorded in its observation in the judgment that, it appears that there are no legal heirs other than two brothers & each is entitled to 1/2 share. Also, there is no evidence produced by younger brother that there is any mutual understanding & therefore the objection is overruled and heirship certificate is granted. 

Using the certificate, I applied for mutation my name in land records with due NOC from the society. My application was once again opposed & after hearing both parties, my name got mutated on the property card to the extent of 1/2 share by concerned land records office. But my brother, went in appeal to higher authority, against the order of the land records officer, quoting the observation of the court highlighted above.

My brother has not produced even a single document before the land records officer or the appellete authority except for the judgment in the contested case of grant of heirship certificate only to me. Not even a NOC of the society which is the actual land owner.

On the directions of the higher authority, after second review,  an order was passed by the same Land records Officer that my brother's name is also mutated to the extent of his 1/2 share, on basis of observation of the Hon. Court highlighted earlier.

Now, my brother, while opposing grant of heirship certificate to me, used the judgment in the same case, that too without any heirship certificate, without any NOC from the society who is owner of the land & also not paying any court fees as per valuation.

As per my understanding, only the Civil Court which is the sole authority & Land Records Office cannot act on mutation based on its own interpretation in the absence of any clear order of the civil court. So it seems to me that the order of Land Records Officer is bad in law.

It seems to me that it is of no use to go in appeal against the order because the appellate authority is the very one which directed the lower officer for review.

So what remedy is available to me in such a situation.

Sorry for a bit long query.

Learning

2 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     13 November 2022

Civil Court has issued heirship certificate, which court and under which provision of law the certificate has been issued ???

What is the opinion and advise of your lawyer who has stated to have successfully been got the certificate issued by civil court ??

RAJESHWARAN (Owner)     13 November 2022

Sir,

Thanks for your reply. The certificate has been issued by Civil Court, Senior Division by the judge whose designation is Jt. CJSD. I made an application under Section 8 of Hindu Succession Act & on the direction of the court, application was amended to include Bombay Regulation VIII. The application was limited only to the extent of my 1/2 share.The heirship certificate or the judgment post contest does not mention any provision in specific.

My advocate's view is that as per law the opposite party should get their right crystallized by the civil court, without which the name cannot be mutated in Land Records. The society NOC was also not produced & also the lease deed is also not signed with the society. In the land records, the property owner is the society, so without NOC of the society & lease deed, the land record office cannot mutate the name unilaterally & the mutation must be challenged. I had taken NOC from the society for my application. 

I am in a quandry, because when my brother filed an appeal with the Appellate Authority ie. Dist. Supritntendant, Land Records, against the original order, the authority, passed strictures against the Land Records officer & referred the matter back to him for review. So the outcome was fairly predictable as generally lower officer will simply abide by the directions or suggestions of higher authorities. Now, as per procedure, we will have to file an appeal with the very officer who passed strictures. It is beyond comprehension as even when a person holding a valid will & is also the sole heir has to go to court for probate & obtain certificate, here is a case where the second heir is contesting the first heir even when is no will, no lease deed, no society NOC &  no heirship certificate. Moreover, there are many judgments of Supreme Court about mutation entries. I have submitted the copies of some key judgments, but of no avail now.

I do not know whether I am permitted to appeal to the State Level authority directly against the decision of both the lower officers. 

Sorry for a long reply.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register