LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Dhruv Rajpurohit   11 March 2024

Mother's joint locker with son freezed.

I am writing to bring to your attention a matter of significant concern regarding the joint locker held at UCO bank, where I am listed as a joint owner along with my son. And, bank officials didn't send me any notification regarding this application made in 2022 by my son and now I'm not allowed to open my locker.

Recently, I was informed that my son has submitted an application (2022) to freeze our joint locker without my consent. I am deeply troubled by this development as the locker contains valuable items, particularly my gold jewelry, which holds immense sentimental and financial value to me.

As a joint owner of the locker, I believe I have a right to be involved in any decisions or actions pertaining to its status and contents. However, it appears that my son has taken unilateral action without consulting me, which is both distressing and unacceptable.

I kindly request your assistance in resolving this matter as my son is having a criminal mindset regarding the same and i am compelled to take strong action against him as per law.

Learning

7 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     11 March 2024

Instead of just writing and expressing your grievance and anguish over what has happened, you better jump into legal action to rectify this problem.

You first issue a legal notice to the bankers seeking their authority to freeze the bank locker account just by a letter from the joint account holder without notifying you.

Then ask them to unfreeze the account and permit you to operate your locker account as usual.

Failing to respond, you can drag the bank manager to the consumer forum for the relief  or approch civil court with a suit for mandatory injunction suit seekig the desired reliefs.

2 Like

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     11 March 2024

Just issue a legal notice to bank and notify them of consequiences as they ahve commited an ilegallity.

2 Like

Dhruv Rajpurohit   11 March 2024

Thank you so much sir. Thanks for your detailed answer.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     11 March 2024

You are welcome for your appreciations. 

Dhruv Rajpurohit   15 March 2024

I have the locker key with me, i have submitted an application to the present branch manager to issue me the letter of application made by my son to freeze my locker to the then branch manager, but the present manager is in duty since last 3 months and he is hesistating to issue me this letter copy. So, should I serve the legal notice drafted and served to them b\y me or my advocate?

KARAN WALIA   18 March 2024

The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) establishes rules that control joint lockers and other banking activities. These rules frequently need the approval of all joint owners for any modifications to the locker's status or access to its contents. These rules could be broken by your son acting unilaterally without your permission.

Examining the terms and conditions of the joint locker agreement you signed with your son and the UCO bank should be your first move. Read all provisions pertaining to locking or unlocking the locker carefully, as well as the steps involved in changing the locker's state.

You share equal ownership rights over the locker's contents and administration. You may have your ownership rights violated by your son's attempt to freeze the locker without your permission. It is legal for you to object to such actions.

Collect any pertinent papers, including the joint ownership agreement, previous correspondence with the bank, and specifics of your son's application. This proof is essential to bolstering your argument and proving your rights as a co-owner.

To find a solution that works for both of you, you might also look into mediation or bargaining, depending on the situation and your relationship with your son. Legal action, however, might be required if your son's acts represent a serious threat to your interests or show evidence of criminal intent.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     19 March 2024

Originally posted by : Dhruv Rajpurohit

I have the locker key with me, i have submitted an application to the present branch manager to issue me the letter of application made by my son to freeze my locker to the then branch manager, but the present manager is in duty since last 3 months and he is hesistating to issue me this letter copy. So, should I serve the legal notice drafted and served to them b\y me or my advocate?

That is why you are advised to send them notice.

Further sine it is govt bank you can also complaint to th CVC andnChief Vigilance Officer of the bank as the bank officials have acted imprudently.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register