Civil Procedure Code (CPC)

mother-in-law share

Lady husband passed away in year 2005. as per hindu succession act, i hear that after person demise his wife, children and mother have one share each. now the issue, his brothers are trying to claim share thru his mother. now if the person left behind will or family arrangement passing on property to only wife and daughter can his mother claim a share in her sons property which is all self acquired.

Your query requires some clarity.  However, to my understanding, the person left behind will or family arrangement for his self-acquired property, then no one claims it.


No, the will shall prevail over the succession act. If the mother is alive then she has been vested with one share of the son and the brothers of the deceased can only request the mother to give them that part of the property and nothing else. This property that the mother has will be devolving upon these brothers even if she dies intestate while they are alive.

Learn all about the Hindu laws - Get empowered -

The posting appears to be based on unverified facts. Please post simple facts in simple language.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
Civil Litigation Course     |    x