LIVE Course on Transfer Property Law | Price Hike in 4 days | Grab it now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Syed Ibrahim   11 February 2021


Suppose I am receiving Rs.50,000 from Mr.Y forwhich I am giving right to use his agricultural land for 3 year period. Will it be called "Mortgage with possession?


 1 Replies

Kevin Moses Paul   11 February 2021

As per your query, I would like to inform you that such a situation would constitute an usufructuary mortgage,about which I've illustrated down below, so have a look for.more input.

An USUFRUCTUARY MORTGAGE is a type of mortgage where the mortgagor delivers the possession and right to enjoy an income of and from the property to the mortgagee.

Therefore, if the mortgagor is not in a position to give immediate possession, it is sufficient if he gives the right to possession.

However, if a mortgagor expressly or by any sort of implications binds himself to deliver possession of the mortgaged property to the mortgagee, the transaction is a usufructuary mortgage despite the fact that the actual possession has not been delivered.

Instead of giving actual possession, the mortgagor may direct the tenants of the mortgaged property to pay the rent to the mortgagee.

A usufructuary mortgage is one where the mortgagor delivers or agrees to deliver the possession of the mortgaged property to the mortgagee and authorizes him –

1.) To retain such possession until payment of the mortgage money,

2.) To receive the whole or any part of the rents and profits accruing from the property, and

3.) To appropriate such rents or profits;
(i) in lieu of interest, or
(ii) in payment of the mortgage money, or
(iii) partly in lieu of interest and partly in lieu of the mortgage money.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query