LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

saumya (Software Engineer)     22 September 2014

Money extortion by tikona

Unfortunately for me i took a Tikona connection in february. the service was quite poor and in June i filed for deactivation of account. I registered complaint numerous times and the customer care officials kept telling me they would call back but they never did and when i told them so they would drop the call. I had to leave the city so i disconnected the modem and gave Tikona an address where they could collect it from and once  again requested for deactivation of account. They did not do it and three months later i got a threatening call and they blackmailed me to pay Rs. 3269/- as penalty for not paying the bills for the period June-August. I had not even been in the city then and the modem had been disconnected in May itself but still apparently there had been net usage. They told me to make the payment within 30 min or they would send High Court summons to me and in effect blackmailed me with dire consequences. As they had my address and other details i was forced to pay the amount. After this i got a message that my account has been reactivated. Now when i contact the customer care to deactivate the account once again the same thing as before happens. The email id in their records is wrong and when i tell them to change it i am asked to message to a number but then also the id is not changed, and when i mail to customer care with another email id i get an auto generated reply to use registered id. 

I am extremely frustrated with the Tikona services and regret the decision of ever using their network. I don't know how to get my account deactivated. Now i inclined to proceed to consumer courts to get back the money that was extorted from me. My Tikona customer ID is 1109708082.

Learning

12 Replies

Hardeep (Business)     22 September 2014

If you have proof of all said above then cases lie on multiple counts.

If not, you should start creating proof. To begin, send them Emails, Regd Letters, record complaints, complain in their User Forums etc. for deactivation of account earliest. if no action case lies in Consumer Forum.

DISCLAIMER : General information and advice provided is without any warranties as to suitability for any use, correctness and application to any specific case. Please always take proper legal counsel . However, if it helped anyone even a little a " thanks" would be appreciated and would encourage me to keep on making efforts :-) . I am also always open to corrections and further learnings from more experienced Seniors here.

saumya (Software Engineer)     22 September 2014

I have a request id from the last complaint. I asked them for the status of that request and they said it is on hold. I have made another request and i have a mail from tikona confirming that request. 

The main pain point is that they extorted money from me and when i asked them why i was billed for the period after i had registered complaint for deactivation they told me they are penalty charges. I told them i had talked to numerous customer care agents asking for deactivation to which they said they would have called back surely and that it is my fault i did not respond to the calls. So basically the robbed me and they are blaming it on me. 

I have dropped mails to customer care and j.nair@tikona.in about the issue  and also to the consumer courts. I am trying to get  my account deactivated at the earliest.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     22 September 2014

The high court in approached in such matters and does send summons.

You have been taken for a ride.

There are many threads on M/s Tikona……………..at LCI.

On the bottom Right Hand Side of this page just type Tikona and you can access all of 47  threads at:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/search_results_custom.asp?dir=forum&q=Tikona&B1=GO#.VCAxupSSwb8

Do you have the record to establish that the service was poor and you had instructed for deactivation of a/c…………………………..The company is liable to disconnect in 7 days………………and adjust security.

Approach a lawyer specializing in consumer cases and lodge complaint in DCDRF……………………

Hardeep (Business)     22 September 2014

Some interesting threads there :-)

Rahul Kapoor (Legal Enthusiast)     23 September 2014

hello, 

i also got trapped by them but fortunately i am out of it.

they might call you impersonating as a lawyer.

do not pay any inflated amount they will settle the amount.

keep mailing the customer care dept.

i was charged with 6000 rs ..

regards-

rahul.gogreen@gmail.com

saumya (Software Engineer)     23 September 2014

They blackmailed me into making the payment and now when i ask for deactivation they are saying i have a tikona balance for 1000/- so i cant deactivate. And this balance is non-refundable. When i said i want a deactivation  asap they keep postponing it...one agent says it will be done in 2 days and another says it will be done in 15 days. I am getting really pissed at them. They are not refunding the amount they extorted illegally and on top of it they are not even deactivating the account and are continuing to bill me.  When i asked one customer care agent to check my account status he accepted that the i stopped using their network on 31st May, which was more than 3 months ago and yet they continue to bill me. This is one major fraudulent company.

Tikona Care (CSE)     23 September 2014

Dear Saumya, Greetings from Tikona. Please be assured that your concern listed Sept 22, 2014 has been noted and our team is working on addressing the same. Regards, Tikona Care

Kumar Doab (FIN)     23 September 2014

Why are you calling them on phone only?

Why don't you issue a notice and a legal notice by your lawyer and lodge a police complaint?

If you have gone thru the threads you will be able to download the TRAI guidelines and also how to deal with them.

saumya (Software Engineer)     23 September 2014

They told me that they will call me on phone to confirm deactivation of account. Before when i registered the request for deactivation they told the same thing and they never called and now they tell me that they called 4 times and i did not respond apparently according to them. I told them about the TRAI regulations according to which if i have registered a complaint they need to deactivate within 7 days to which they could not give any response. I have talked to a  lawyer and if i don't get the refund and deactivation mail i will be filing a case against them. I have already contacted the consumer courts and i now know that i can sue them for blackmailing and customer harassment.

@Tikona You have told me numerous times that you are addressing the issue but you have not done anything except cheating me so far. Please note that there is a limit to my patience. Do not assume that you can trick every customer into paying inflated bills by blackmailing and not suffer the consequences.

Finally, It is good that you have decided to pull the offenders.

I am sending you a link and you can very well see how vigilant customer collect evidence and put these on Facebook, Twitter, to Media, TV shows, police, court etc......................

There are threads about M/s Tikona on Facebook.......................

Rahul Kapoor (Legal Enthusiast)     25 September 2014

ask them to waive off bill and compensate you for harassment they caused.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register