LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Asifer Khan   27 February 2021

Merits of the case

My friend posted in charge of a public dealing branch of a department was imputed with the charge Rule- 3 (1)(ii) and 3(1) (iii) of CCS(Conduct Rules, 1964 under Rule-14 and on IOs final report he was relieved from the charge from Rule 3 (1)(ii) as he had allowed smooth functioning of an office during last week of the month but held guilty under Rule 3(1) (iii) since he did not implement the order to relieve one official who had been granted EL on office arrangement.
The Rule-14 was initiated by the disciplinary authority who is competent to implement minor penalties against my friend but not competent to implement major penalties under CCS(CCA) Rules and the same was forwarded to his appointing authority for punishment. The appointing authority accordingly awarded a punishment of reduction of Pay by 2 stages for a period of 3 months without cumulative effect. My friend knocked the door of the CAT, stayed the order and at last the CAT quashed the Rule-14 charge sheet and punishment order on the contention that the said disciplinary authority is not competent to issue Rule-14 charge sheet as he is not the appointing authority keeping aside the 2nd argument of my friend i.e (once he is proved that he has maintained devotion to duty and lifted from the charge of Rule 3(1)(iii)
of CCS conduct Rules, the question of unbecoming on the part of a Govt. servant cannot be held simultaneously)
But his department challenged the CAT order in the High Court with the contention that Disciplinary authority is the competent authority to initiate Rule-14 .
So I want to know the merits of the case and what will be the options for my friend and consequences with the case. For the pending case my friend is not getting any promotions from last 3 years

Learning

3 Replies

P. Venu (Advocate)     28 February 2021

The High Court is unlikely to interfere with the CAT decision as the same does not appear to be irregular or illegal. However, much depends upon the pleadings as well the arguments advanced. 

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     28 February 2021

CAT has certainly passed orders on the basis of facts and rules applicable, which may not be interfered by High Court but can not presume.

The case needs to be gone through before forming an opiinion and oblige.

However, it would be better to contact, and consult  another local prudent lawyer for proper appreciation of facts/ document and advise.

Asifer Khan   03 March 2021

Thank u Sirs, but he wants to know that despite the eligibility of his candidature and quash of the punishment order since 2019 he is being ignored in each DPC because of the fact that his department has gone against it in High court since Mar 2020 for which my friend has not been summoned from the HC nor any information received from his department regarding the case in written, why please

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More