LIVE Course on Transfer Property Law | Price Hike in 4 days | Grab it now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Parul   06 August 2016

Mental harrasment by inlaws

My inlaws are always disturbing me making one to other excuse after giving birth to girl my got married on 11 may2015 my husband is continuosly fighting with me as her mother father saws. They blame me for every little things nd trying to make me characterless i dont know what to doi m worried about my daughter they are forcing me to comit suciede.


 4 Replies

No please don't commit such acts. Suicide is not the solution for problems. Think about your daughter. She needs you. We are here to help you. You need to first decide if you want to save your marriage. If so, talk to your elders, parents etc., explain to them your situation so that they can talk some sense into your husband and in laws. They need to be aware that if you complain to police using 498a and file a case under DV act, their life could go very bad and they might even spend jail time. But I recommend to you not to file cases and go that legal route yet, as it will permanently close the doors of your chances of a reunion or resurrection of your marriage. So first try to resolve amicably through explanation and understanding with the help of elders. Of course, if it becomes inevitable in the sense that the mental harassment continues and you decide you can't stay in the marriage, then rest assured. If you file case under DV act, you'll immediately get various benefits such as interim maintenance, protection orders, child custody etc. Your husband will have to give you 1/3Rd of his income for you to live separately. If you can't afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you free of cost by legal aid. I once again repeat, don't even think about suicide or similar actions. We are all here to help you okay? I am certain the legal experts at lawyersclubindia will consider a pleasure to help victims such as you with their guidance as they have been doing excellently through this and the experts forum. Good luck. Feel free to ask for more guidance.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     10 August 2016

Such mother obedient husbands change within few hours in a Govt place which is called THANA

Vibha   10 August 2016

  1. If you want to stay married then seek marriage counselling together with husband to improve your relationship and try to get separate residence from in-laws. 
  2. If you want a divorce, there are many ways.
    1. Mutual consent is fastest way.
    2. DV Act, IPC 498A will cause your husband and in-laws to run in courts for few years before the cases get settled for a mutual divorce. 
    3. I disagree with Mr. Sudhir Kumar. The cases above will not change behavior of your husband and inlaws towards you. The relationship between you and husband will get more bitter and reach point of no return. These cases are not fun to fight. You feel powerfull for few weeks after filing the case. In long run it simply means attending court dates and paying lawyers till you get tired. There is usually no end result in these cases. 
    4. If you want to live separate from husband and get maintenance support  from him you can get it.  This is the one and only effective remedy available through courts. Everything else is nonsense emotional rollercoaster and sinking good money into lawyers pockets.
  3. If you are feeling suicidal, immediately leave matrimonial home with daughter and live with parents. Plan next steps after you feel emotionaly stable. 

Very well explained by Vibhaji. I agree completely.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query