Intellectual Property Rights: Practice and Drafting by Adv Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Danish   20 January 2019

Marrying a foreigner in india

Hello everyone, i need some advice, kindly help me with it . I am an Indian muslim, and i want to marry a girl who is from Iran(shes muslim too), she stays in UK now since shes pursuing her education there. We want to get married, but she doesnt wants to go to Iran and get married there probably because some of her family issues, so if shes in india on a tourist visa, 1) how can i get married to her in india? 2) how many days will it take to register our marriage? 3) can she stay in india after 30 days of her visa expiry after our marriage ? 4) does she need any NOC from Iran embassy?(what if they dont give)


 3 Replies

Martin S.   20 January 2019

Do not marry in India.

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     20 January 2019

Marriage of Indian with a foreigner should be done under the Special Marriage Act,1954. Secondly the issue if an Iranian woman marry outside her country with a foreigner, the NOC will be required from her local Embassy in India, if they're not issuing her NOC the Marriage Officer may not marry you with her under the Special Marriage Act. As far her stay in India after marriage is concerned that may not be possible immediately after expiry of her visa, and more over the marriage under the Special Marriage Act require one month notice after which marriage possible her stay in India should be for longer period not for one month only. As far Muslim Sharia law marriage is concerned that too will require registration for visa and other purposes and Marriage Registrar there too will also seek NOC from her local Embassy in India. In all cases your marriage with her require expert lawyer to help you out not novice who can put you in more trouble than solving it.

Danish   24 February 2019

ok Thanks a lot sir for ur valuable advice. apart from special marriage act, i can marry her under muslim sharia law ? too since we both are muslims(shes from Iran).( or we need to marry under both the above and have 2 certificates of our marriage- one from the muslim sharia law and other one from the special marriage act )

she easily gets a 60 days indian e-visa and can get married here in india within that 60 days, later we can extend her tourist visa to short visit visa or Xvisa through the FRRO with the proof of our marriage certificate or should i apply for her extension before the marriage through my invitation letter or personal undertaking? so she doesnt needs to leave the country . 

*After the marriage is done, she can stay in India and her Visa can be extended(on the basis of our marriage certificate) so she doesnt needs to leave the country. I cant risk her going back to iran after the marriage, because her parents may not agree for our marriage and may not leven et her come back to India

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More

Related Threads