Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sakthigautham (RESEARCHER)     05 March 2013

Marriage religion and reservation


Dear Sirs,
I belong to Hindu Scheduled caste by birth. My parents belong to Hindu Scheduled caste by birth(my parents still belong to Hindu SC) 
However, I married a Christian BC man. For marriage purposes, I had to take baptism and undergo a church marriage. 
But, I did not practise Christianity from day 1 of my marriage. I am still a practising Hindu. I did not change my name. I still bore a Hindu name. I have the same Hindu name in my Christian marriage certificate.
I did not change my name in any documents, I did not change my surname in any documents. I did not change my community certificate. 
But I am yet to re register my marriage under Special marriage act, 1954. 
My question is, even before re registering my marriage under the special marriage act, will I be able to avail the benefits of reservation?
To be more specific, I am in a situation to apply for an exam immediately availing a reservation benefit(age relaxation), but I haven't re registered my marriage yet. Can I apply for the exam first, then before the examination process ends(it takes an year), can I re register my marriage in the mean while? Will there be a legal problem in the future in this scenario?  OR, 
since I did not change any documents or my name and being a practising Hindu, is it true that I don't even have to re register my marriage? (The exam or the selection process does not ask me to produce a marriage certificate anywhere). I am worried only about envious people who might dig out the fact that I got married in a church and hold that fact against me in the future. Please explain.
Thanks very much


 1 Replies

Rajendra Shrivastava (advocate)     06 March 2013

slomnize your marriage accordig to hindu ritis. make your wife hindu. your problem will be solved.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query